Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gquiggan gquiggan is offline

Default Form fields

I am using check boxes in a document that I have created using tables in the
layout. Whenever I lock the checkbox form fields Word locks the entire
document and I am unable to access any of the other parts of it. What am I
doing wrong and how can I fix it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

gquiggan wrote:
I am using check boxes in a document that I have created using tables
in the layout. Whenever I lock the checkbox form fields Word locks
the entire document and I am unable to access any of the other parts
of it. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

You aren't doing anything wrong; that's the way form protection is designed.

If the check boxes are isolated in one area of the document (or just a few
areas), you can insert section breaks before and after that area. Then, when
you go to the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane and choose protection for
forms in the dropdown, you'll see a blue link for "Select sections" below
that. Click the link to open a dialog where you can uncheck any sections
that should not be protected.

There will still be some functions that don't work in the unprotected
sections. If you really need something to work there, the only workaround is
to create a macro that unprotects the whole document, does the needed
function, and then reprotects the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman