Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mgirving mgirving is offline

Default Consequential numbering

Hi - I have a lengthy document and within the text of each paragraph it
states for example, 'Attachment 1 to this document is a copy of the letter'.
As I am working on the document I am moving paragraphs around. Is there a
way of automatically setting the 'Attachment 1' reference so that if the
paragraphs move around the Attachment number will also update automatically
to reflect the order of where it sits? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi,

If each attachment is mentioned only once, the simplest way is to insert SEQ
fields at the places where the numbers of your attachments will appear. The
keyboard way to do this is to type SEQ attachments, where "attachments" is
the identifier of the sequence and can be any word, select SEQ attachments,
press Ctrl+F9, and then press F9. For more information about the SEQ field,
see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH061047291033.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"mgirving" wrote:

Hi - I have a lengthy document and within the text of each paragraph it
states for example, 'Attachment 1 to this document is a copy of the letter'.
As I am working on the document I am moving paragraphs around. Is there a
way of automatically setting the 'Attachment 1' reference so that if the
paragraphs move around the Attachment number will also update automatically
to reflect the order of where it sits? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that you numbered your Attachments using Word's auto numbering
feature, you can insert a cross-reference to the number: In Word 2007, click
the References tab, and then click Cross-reference in the Captions group.
For "Reference type," choose "Numbered item." Choose "Paragraph number" for
"Insert reference to." Click Insert.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mgirving" wrote in message
Hi - I have a lengthy document and within the text of each paragraph it
states for example, 'Attachment 1 to this document is a copy of the
letter'.
As I am working on the document I am moving paragraphs around. Is there a
way of automatically setting the 'Attachment 1' reference so that if the
paragraphs move around the Attachment number will also update
automatically
to reflect the order of where it sits? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

In addition to the instructions from Pesach, please note that these fields
will not automatically refresh as you, say, insert an new attachment seq
field. To do this you can jump to Print Preview and BAck, or select the whole
document (Ctrl+A) then press F9, to refresh all fields.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"mgirving" wrote:

Hi - I have a lengthy document and within the text of each paragraph it
states for example, 'Attachment 1 to this document is a copy of the letter'.
As I am working on the document I am moving paragraphs around. Is there a
way of automatically setting the 'Attachment 1' reference so that if the
paragraphs move around the Attachment number will also update automatically
to reflect the order of where it sits? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I use SEQ fields to number the appendixes, then cross-references to
reference them.

http://word.mvps.org

"mgirving" wrote:

Hi - I have a lengthy document and within the text of each paragraph it
states for example, 'Attachment 1 to this document is a copy of the
letter'.
As I am working on the document I am moving paragraphs around. Is
there a
way of automatically setting the 'Attachment 1' reference so that if
the
paragraphs move around the Attachment number will also update
automatically
to reflect the order of where it sits? Many thanks for any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course, you can use auto numbering for the same purpose. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP