kpm

Default TOC and dot leaders

I have a unique issue with creating Table of Contents. Level 1 in the Table
sometimes has automatic numbering and sometimes does not. Because of the
numbering, I need a hanging indent of .5". If I have a heading that is less
than .5" in length (4 or less characters) and not numbered, the dot leader is
removed and the page number moves to the left 2 characters from the entry.
The problem is easily fixed if I remove the hanging indent, but then the
entries that are numbered do not line up correctly. Any help in resolving
this would be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing more about your document structure, it's hard to say, but if
you can use different styles for the headings that have numbers and those
that don't, then you can map them to different TOC levels, formatted the
same except for the hanging indent. For example, suppose you have two Level
1 heading styles and your TOC includes three levels. You could map one of
the Level 1 heading styles to TOC 4 instead and change the formatting of TOC
4 to match TOC 1 except for the hanging indent.

"kpm" wrote in message
I have a unique issue with creating Table of Contents. Level 1 in the

Table
sometimes has automatic numbering and sometimes does not. Because of the
numbering, I need a hanging indent of .5". If I have a heading that is

less
than .5" in length (4 or less characters) and not numbered, the dot leader

is
removed and the page number moves to the left 2 characters from the entry.
The problem is easily fixed if I remove the hanging indent, but then the
entries that are numbered do not line up correctly. Any help in resolving
this would be greatly appreciated.

kpm

Thanks, that is a viable workaround. I work for a law firm and it is often
you will see a level 1 heading like "Article I Introduction" which is created
using using auto numbering and another level 1 called "Names" or something
similar. Using your method I can direct them to use a predesigned level 9
heading with the associated spacing. Thanks again.

"kpm" wrote in message
I have a unique issue with creating Table of Contents. Level 1 in the

Table
sometimes has automatic numbering and sometimes does not. Because of the
numbering, I need a hanging indent of .5". If I have a heading that is

less
than .5" in length (4 or less characters) and not numbered, the dot leader

is
removed and the page number moves to the left 2 characters from the entry.
The problem is easily fixed if I remove the hanging indent, but then the
entries that are numbered do not line up correctly. Any help in resolving
this would be greatly appreciated.

Glad I could help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Without knowing more about your document structure, it's hard to say,

but if
you can use different styles for the headings that have numbers and

those
that don't, then you can map them to different TOC levels, formatted the
same except for the hanging indent. For example, suppose you have two

Level
1 heading styles and your TOC includes three levels. You could map one

of
the Level 1 heading styles to TOC 4 instead and change the formatting of

TOC
4 to match TOC 1 except for the hanging indent.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.