Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brodbert brodbert is offline

Default Linking text fields within a template

I am creating a template and I have several places throughout the document
body and also the footer that take the same number. I named the field
"Document Number".
Is there any way to link all of the "Document Number" fields together so
when one of them is edited all of them change automatically?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using Word 2007 and the new file formats of that version, you can
use mapped content controls to accomplish exactly what you want. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mapped_Content_Control.htm.

In older versions, you would make use of a text form field and repeat its
contents using REF (cross-reference) fields. See "2. On Line Form" in the
article at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP