Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default 2007 template to 2003?

Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could open normal.dotm in Word 2007, and save it as a Word 97-2003
template (with a name other than normal.dot to avoid confusion) into the
startup folder used by Word 2003. This *should* transfer the shortcuts
stored in the normal template and appears to work with my test sample. To
what extent your shortcuts will conflict with the default shortcuts of Word
2003 I cannot say, but you will soon find out, and if it doesn't work well
you can always remove the template from the startup folder

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh, excellent! And I can then safely email it? (They don't conflict
with any existing shortcuts in 2007, except that I've used Ctrl-\ and
Ctrl-| for Accept and Reject Change respectively, and they called
something for which I had no use whatsoever, I don't remember what.)

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

PS What happens to my QAT when I do this? Does it turn up as a toolbar
in W2003? (It has buttons for the bibliography system on it, which
would at the least confuse the other user.)

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Saving as a Word 2003 template will simply discard the QAT as Word 2003 has
no way of handling it. I suspect your keyboard shortcuts would take
precedence over the default Word 2003 commands. The only problems you are
likely to encounter would be associated with shortcuts to new Word 2007
specific functions - but I don't think there are too many of those.

Any macros in the template would be retained (and provided they don't
contain Word 2007 specific code should still be available) as would any
styles and those autotext entries saved in the normal template, however
styles in a template used as an add-in would be ignored.

I think the bottom line would be to try it and see whether it achieves your
intentions.

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, with that pair of exceptions my keyboard shortcuts are all for
special characters.

The only macro(s) is your set for opening at the point where editing
left off -- would anything therein trouble W2003?

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That macro simply wouldn't be needed in Word 2003, where Shift+F5 works as
it's supposed to.

http://word.mvps.org

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But should it be removed from the 2003 template before sending? (It
will, after all, insert an invisible bookmark at every save.)

I think it's nice to be returned to where you left off when you open,
rather than having to tell it to take you to that spot. (FrameMaker
takes you to the last editing point automatically.)

On Oct 4, 1:21*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
That macro simply wouldn't be needed in Word 2003, where Shift+F5 works as
it's supposed to.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Is there a way I can transmit my many keyboard shortcuts from my
normal.dotm template so they can be used in Word2003?----

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No. The macros will not work in 2003 - at least not automatically - if the
template is used as an add-in. They need to be in the normal template to
work as intended. The best plan is to remove them.