Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Buchs Kevin Buchs is offline

Default Unable to delete styles

I have a coworker with a totally messed up document that has about 50
different bullet styles. I think he has automatic style creation turned on.
Anyway using the Styles and Formatting dialog, I was trying to help him
consolidate them by selecting all instances one style and then clicking
clicking on another style to change styles. When I try to delete old styles,
they are not actually deleted but keep showing up on the list with instances.
Any ideas on what would cause such styles to be so stubborn?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Buchs Kevin Buchs is offline

Forgot to mention, dealing with Word 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the styles in question are built-in styles, note that they cannot be
deleted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kevin Buchs" wrote in message
I have a coworker with a totally messed up document that has about 50
different bullet styles. I think he has automatic style creation turned
on.
Anyway using the Styles and Formatting dialog, I was trying to help him
consolidate them by selecting all instances one style and then clicking
clicking on another style to change styles. When I try to delete old
styles,
they are not actually deleted but keep showing up on the list with
instances.
Any ideas on what would cause such styles to be so stubborn?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Buchs Kevin Buchs is offline

If the styles in question are built-in styles, note that they cannot be
deleted.

Yes, I understand that. There are styles that are most definitely not
built-in. In addition there are about 50 styles named "bullets". It is a
mess!

Further, does anyone know what might cause excess style propagation under
the case where the AutoFormat As You Type option to Define styles based on
your formatting is UNCHECKED?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Uncheck - tools options edit keep track of formatting.
Then
Apply the required styles to the document
Then
ALT+F8 Organizer - select and delete unwanted styles from the document.

Kevin Buchs wrote:
If the styles in question are built-in styles, note that they cannot
be deleted.

Yes, I understand that. There are styles that are most definitely not
built-in. In addition there are about 50 styles named "bullets". It
is a mess!

Further, does anyone know what might cause excess style propagation
under the case where the AutoFormat As You Type option to Define
styles based on your formatting is UNCHECKED?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point. With that many entries, I should have suspected "style +
formatting" too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP