Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Brian Pope Brian Pope is offline

Default Sorting in a Word Table

I have a table of 3 columns with 15 last names €śonly€ť. How do I alphabetize
these last names only from 1st cell(1st column, 1st cell) to the last
cell(3rd column, last cell at the bottom)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

What version of Word are you using?
Also, are you saying you have a table of 3 columns and 5 rows, with the
names in each cell, or (hopefully) you have 3 columns with 15 rows with the
names in column 1 of each row.
The following is for 2003 and prior, 2007 instructions may differ.

If you have the second scenario, then select the table, then Table, Sort.
You will now have options to choose which column you sort on and how
(ascending/descending).

If you have the first scenario where the names are across all columns and
rows, ie not in the same column, the you could select the table, Table,
Convert, Table to text, select Paragraph Mark as the separation mode. The
list of names can now be sorted (as above). once sorted you can then select
the list, Convert, Text to table, select 3 columns for number of columns,
ensure Paragraph is checked as the separation, OK.
Your list will now be a table with the names alphabetically sorted across
the table, Left to right, down, left to right.
Hope this is what you where describing.
DeanH