Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Use Document Map & Split Window at same time

It would seem to me that the two features above naturally go hand in
hand. I normally split a window so that I can access widely separated
parts of a document at the same time. However, if I split a window
and access the Document Map to navigate to the far away section, the
windows become unsplit. Is there a way to get both, or is this
simply something that Word doesn't do? (Word 2003, Windows XP).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For what it's worth, Split Window and the Document Map are mutually
exclusive in Word 2007 as well.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
It would seem to me that the two features above naturally go hand in
hand. I normally split a window so that I can access widely separated
parts of a document at the same time. However, if I split a window
and access the Document Map to navigate to the far away section, the
windows become unsplit. Is there a way to get both, or is this
simply something that Word doesn't do? (Word 2003, Windows XP).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Pity...makes one pine for the LaTeX days, when you could use a multi-
window powerhouse like Vim. Mind you, it didn't have lots of that
Word does of course.

"Paul" wrote:
It would seem to me that the two features above naturally go hand in
hand. *I normally split a window so that I can access widely separated
parts of a document at the same time. *However, if I split a window
and access the Document Map to navigate to the far away section, the
windows *become unsplit. *Is there a way to get both, or is this
simply something that Word doesn't do? *(Word 2003, Windows XP).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

While not a solution for splitting a document vertically, you can open the
same document in a new window (Window | New Window) and then use Window |
Compare Side by Side; you can display the DM in both windows. Since both
windows are a view of the same document, you can edit in either one, and the
edit will be applied to the other. By default, they scroll synchronously,
but you can disable synchronous scrolling by clicking the button on the
Compare Side by Side toolbar and thus see different portions of the
document. Naturally, this will work best on a widescreen monitor!

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote:
It would seem to me that the two features above naturally go hand in
hand. I normally split a window so that I can access widely separated
parts of a document at the same time. However, if I split a window
and access the Document Map to navigate to the far away section, the
windows become unsplit. Is there a way to get both, or is this
simply something that Word doesn't do? (Word 2003, Windows XP).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Lacking a widescreen monitor, you can use Draft view (and specify that text
should wrap to the document window).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote:
It would seem to me that the two features above naturally go hand in
hand. I normally split a window so that I can access widely separated
parts of a document at the same time. However, if I split a window
and access the Document Map to navigate to the far away section, the
windows become unsplit. Is there a way to get both, or is this
simply something that Word doesn't do? (Word 2003, Windows XP).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course, I should have written *Normal* view, since this thread is about
Word 2003.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP