Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ng6971 ng6971 is offline

Default Merge Cells in Word 2003

Hi All,

I have a table in word 2003 with 6 columns and multiple rows. When I select
the entire table to merge the rows of this table it will combine all the
cells (Columns+Rows) into one cell.

The position of table as follow:

R1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6
R2 --- --- --- --- ---
R3 --- --- --- --- ---
R4 --- --- --- --- ---

Results Needed:
Only columns are merge with leftmost cell of the table and rows are not
merge with them.
R1C2C3C4C5C6
R2---------------
R3---------------
R4---------------

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Select one row at a time and merge it. If you need to do this often, you may
want to try the following macro:

Sub MergeRowByRow()
On Error GoTo errhandler
Dim t As Table
Dim r As Row
For Each r In Selection.Tables(1).Rows
r.Cells.Merge
Next r
errhandler:
Exit Sub
End Sub

If you need assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ng6971" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a table in word 2003 with 6 columns and multiple rows. When I
select
the entire table to merge the rows of this table it will combine all the
cells (Columns+Rows) into one cell.

The position of table as follow:

R1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6
R2 --- --- --- --- ---
R3 --- --- --- --- ---
R4 --- --- --- --- ---

Results Needed:
Only columns are merge with leftmost cell of the table and rows are not
merge with them.
R1C2C3C4C5C6
R2---------------
R3---------------
R4---------------

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ng6971 ng6971 is offline

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for solution. Code execute perfectly. Have you know about the
behaviour of merging cells in MS Word 6.0 (This is bundled with MS Office 4.3
ver.). In word 6.0 we just selecting the whole table and execute merge cells
command. The results are same as the macro does it.

Is there any chances to modify the merge cell command behaviour in MS word
2003/2007 or any built-in command to get the results as desired? Thanks for
any assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I doubt that there is a way to change the behavior of the Merge Cells
command.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ng6971" wrote in message
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for solution. Code execute perfectly. Have you know about the
behaviour of merging cells in MS Word 6.0 (This is bundled with MS Office
4.3
ver.). In word 6.0 we just selecting the whole table and execute merge
cells
command. The results are same as the macro does it.

Is there any chances to modify the merge cell command behaviour in MS word
2003/2007 or any built-in command to get the results as desired? Thanks
for
any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

But note that you can attach the macro I posted to a toolbar button and/or a
keyboard shortcut, so that you can easily run it. This is explained in
Graham Mayor's article at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP