Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kokomojo Kokomojo is offline

Default Is there a comprehensive list of Formulas available in Word 2007?

Is there a comprehensive list of Formulas available in Word 2007, =SUM,
=PRODUCT, =TRUE? Word calls them formulas, but aren't they really functions?
Anyway, I'd much appreciate such a list.

I know that in the Formula dialog box, under Paste Function, there's a list.
I'm just wondering if there's a sheet somewhere that lists these and
explains what each one does.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They are indeed functions, and they are addressed under that rubric in the
"Field codes: = (Formula) field" Help topic, which you should be able to
find at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...047301033.aspx, but
alas, it seems to have been omitted because the Help topic name didn't start
with an alphabetic letter. It really is a very useful Help topic, and I
can't believe it's not available online somewhere (I found it only in
Japanese!), but anyway, here's the list of functions it provides:

The = (Formula) field can use values returned by the following functions.
Functions with empty parentheses can accept any number of arguments
separated by commas (,) or semicolons (, as long as you use the list
separator defined as part of the regional settings in Microsoft Windows
Control Panel. Arguments can be numbers, formulas, or bookmark names. The
functions AVERAGE(), COUNT(), MAX(), MIN(), PRODUCT(), and SUM() can also
accept references to table cells as arguments.
ABS(x)
Returns the positive value of a number or formula, regardless of its actual
positive or negative value.
AND(x,y)
Returns the value 1 if the logical expressions x and y are both true, or the
value 0 (zero) if either expression is false.
AVERAGE( )
Returns the average of a list of values.
COUNT( )
Returns the number of items in a list.
DEFINED(x)
Returns the value 1 (true) if the expression x is valid, or the value 0
(false) if the expression cannot be computed.
FALSE
Returns 0 (zero).
INT(x)
Returns the numbers to the left of the decimal place in the value or formula
x.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is documentation at

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...862181033.aspx

(searching for anything like "microsoft word formula field" is generally
hopeless because the field code's name "=" means it rarely appears in
any alphabetical list - even here it is listed under "Field switches")

The documentation follows a long tradition of leaving out one function,
namely IF(x,y,z). I have never seen anyone use it (perhaps because it is
not obvious why you would need to, or perhaps it is "deprecated,"
although it still works in Word 2007 )

IF(x,y,z)
The result y if the conditional expression x is true, or the result z if
the conditional expression is false. Y and Z must be numeric or the
words TRUE or FALSE

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 04/12/2009 14:39, Kokomojo wrote:
Is there a comprehensive list of Formulas available in Word 2007, =SUM,
=PRODUCT, =TRUE? Word calls them formulas, but aren't they really functions?
Anyway, I'd much appreciate such a list.

I know that in the Formula dialog box, under Paste Function, there's a list.
I'm just wondering if there's a sheet somewhere that lists these and
explains what each one does.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Kokomojo,

For a list of Word's formula functions, plus examples of a wide range of calculations showing how you can use them, check out my
Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

--
Cheers
macropod

"Kokomojo" wrote in message ...
Is there a comprehensive list of Formulas available in Word 2007, =SUM,
=PRODUCT, =TRUE? Word calls them formulas, but aren't they really functions?
Anyway, I'd much appreciate such a list.

I know that in the Formula dialog box, under Paste Function, there's a list.
I'm just wondering if there's a sheet somewhere that lists these and
explains what each one does.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I could have sworn I looked under "Field switches." I guess I'm just blind.
sigh

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I finally found the topic online at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...862181033.aspx. The link to it
is erroneously included under "Switches" in the index page for Word 2003
Help. You can find the link to the same page in the expected "Formula"
location on the Word 2007 index page
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...261033.aspx#2).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]
MIN( )
Returns the smallest value in a list.
MAX( )
Returns the largest value in a list.
MOD(x,y)
Returns the remainder that results from dividing the value x by the
value y a whole number of times.
NOT(x)
Returns the value 0 (zero) (false) if the logical expression x is
true, or the value 1 (true) if the expression is false.
OR(x,y)
Returns the value 1 (true) if either or both logical expressions x
and y are true, or the value 0 (zero) (false) if both expressions are
false. PRODUCT( )
Returns the result of multiplying a list of values. For example, the
function { = PRODUCT (1,3,7,9) } returns the value 189.
ROUND(x,y)
Returns the value of x rounded to the specified number of decimal
places y; x can be either a number or the result of a formula.
SIGN(x)
Returns the value 1 if x is a positive value, or the value -1 if x is
a negative value.
SUM( )
Returns the sum of a list of values or formulas.
TRUE
Returns the value 1.

"Kokomojo" wrote in message
Is there a comprehensive list of Formulas available in Word 2007,
=SUM, =PRODUCT, =TRUE? Word calls them formulas, but aren't they
really functions?
Anyway, I'd much appreciate such a list.

I know that in the Formula dialog box, under Paste Function, there's
a list.
I'm just wondering if there's a sheet somewhere that lists these and
explains what each one does.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, macropod has already relieved me of my ignorance, but thanks for the
link to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...4261033.aspx#2, which
I was quite unaware of. I'm guessing that's a result of our (MVP) requests.
I must say, though, that when I search Word 2007's Help, this doesn't come
up.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
I finally found the topic online at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...862181033.aspx. The link to it
is erroneously included under "Switches" in the index page for Word 2003
Help. You can find the link to the same page in the expected "Formula"
location on the Word 2007 index page
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...261033.aspx#2).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

"Kokomojo" wrote in message
Is there a comprehensive list of Formulas available in Word 2007,
=SUM, =PRODUCT, =TRUE? Word calls them formulas, but aren't they
really functions?
Anyway, I'd much appreciate such a list.

I know that in the Formula dialog box, under Paste Function, there's
a list.
I'm just wondering if there's a sheet somewhere that lists these and
explains what each one does.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I could have sworn I looked under "Field switches." I guess I'm just
blind. sigh

:-) Funnily enough I could have sworn it was under "F" for formula only
recently, but perhaps that's another version of the same documentation.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 04/12/2009 16:23, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I could have sworn I looked under "Field switches." I guess I'm just
blind. sigh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay has pointed out that there is (now finally) an index page
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...4261033.aspx#2) specifically
for Word 2007, where it is in fact listed under Formula.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
I could have sworn I looked under "Field switches." I guess I'm just
blind. sigh

:-) Funnily enough I could have sworn it was under "F" for formula only
recently, but perhaps that's another version of the same documentation.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 04/12/2009 16:23, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I could have sworn I looked under "Field switches." I guess I'm just
blind. sigh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks - that must have been it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Formulas in word 2007 david24 Tables 4 October 1st 08 02:49 AM
resize text to fit biz card=reduce overall-comprehensive size Walter Microsoft Word Help 1 March 12th 08 03:26 AM
Word 2007 Multilevel list - This list name is already being used. Please choose another one. robr Microsoft Word Help 3 June 29th 07 06:27 PM
Using formulas in Word 2007 tables Aubin Tables 1 May 4th 07 04:33 AM
Word should have a comprehensive built in bibliography maker. GibbonsProgrammer Microsoft Word Help 0 November 26th 05 04:09 PM