Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoseyM RoseyM is offline

Default Insert citation in Word 2007? I get "invalid source specified"

Hi when I try to insert a citation or bibliography using the citation
function in Word 2007 it comes up with "Invalid Source Specified". This
appears both in the preview pane and in the document itself.

I have all the correct fields completed (as far as I can see anyway) and the
source is appearing in my Manage Sources pane with a little tick beside it.

Any ideas? I'm working on my masters and it would be such a time-saver if I
could use this function. It's so frustrating to think of the extra hours of
work I will have to do if I can't get it working! I notice that this question
seems to have been asked on numerous other websites but with no solution, so
hopefully we can come up with a solution here.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Does this happen when you create a new empty document in Word 2007 and add a
citation?

What happens if you change the bibliography style (e.g. from APA to MLA)?
Does it work in that case?

Under "Manage Sources", do you get to see a preview in the "Preview" box at
the bottom when you select one of the sources?

Are the styles installed correctly? Check the following directory for XSL
files:
path to winword.exe\Bibliography\Style
On 32-bit systems, this commonly is:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography\Style
Does the directory contains APA.XSL, MLA.XSL, ...?

Is the tag of the source correct in your citation? If you display the field
code of the citation, it will look like " CITATION abc12 " where 'abc12' is
the tag of the source you are refering to. Is there a source with that tag
in the right pane of your manage sources dialog?

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com