Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Default Messages on Server for 90 days only

My newsgroup reader (Mozilla Thunderbird) gives me a message on all
Microsoft Newsgroups for any message that is more 90 days old that the
message has "expired".

Is it a Microsoft policy to remove messages from the public server
after that point? If so, why remove them so quickly; the shelf life of
the messages should be at least several years.

I can search for older newsgroup items on Google Groups, but the
listing on that website is not as good, in my view, as the newsgroup itself.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

David is talking about the msnews server (accessed via NNTP), not the Web
site.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
I've never tried the website access, only Google Groups, but from all
the complaints posted here about the website, I wonder why anyone
does.

On Dec 27, 9:30 pm, djprius wrote:
My newsgroup reader (Mozilla Thunderbird) gives me a message on all
Microsoft Newsgroups for any message that is more 90 days old that the
message has "expired".

Is it a Microsoft policy to remove messages from the public server
after that point? If so, why remove them so quickly; the shelf life of
the messages should be at least several years.

I can search for older newsgroup items on Google Groups, but the
listing on that website is not as good, in my view, as the newsgroup
itself.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The servers used for msnews are old and unstable and prone to problems even
with just 90 days' worth of messages. And doomed, as MS has signaled a clear
intention to move all "discussion groups" to (Web-based) "forums" and ditch
the NNTP NGs.

http://word.mvps.org

"djprius" wrote in message
My newsgroup reader (Mozilla Thunderbird) gives me a message on all
Microsoft Newsgroups for any message that is more 90 days old that the
message has "expired".

Is it a Microsoft policy to remove messages from the public server after
that point? If so, why remove them so quickly; the shelf life of the
messages should be at least several years.

I can search for older newsgroup items on Google Groups, but the listing
on that website is not as good, in my view, as the newsgroup itself.

David

Joyfax Server - Client/server-based fax software allows you to sendand receive fax anywhere [email protected] Mailmerge 0 July 15th 08 04:35 AM
How do I calculate days to the calendar eg. today + 65 days =? LMH Microsoft Word Help 2 March 26th 08 06:26 AM
MS Management Console;Proxy Server;Internet Information Server con Howeey Microsoft Word Help 6 February 17th 07 09:02 PM
Add days kaybee717 Microsoft Word Help 1 February 6th 07 08:56 PM
mail merge documents moved from one server to another server don't Derek Ruesch Mailmerge 0 September 8th 05 06:36 PM