Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Default Adding an alpha prefix to page numbers

I am jumping in mid-production on a large document that has been, pretty
much, manually prepared (page numbers, TOC, Tables & figures, etc.). I have
managed to automate most functions (TOC, Table and figure numbering with
lists, Index, etc.) but one thing still eludes me. The document uses page
numbers in the executive summary that have a prefix of ES (e.g. ES-1, ES-2,
etc.). I can get the pages formatted to display the correct ES-n number on
the page but, so far, I haven't figured out how to have the whole ES-n number
show up in the TOC.

Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only page number format that will show up in the TOC is the one created
with the Page Number Format dialog. You can use "Include chapter number" to
add numbers or letters that are the paragraph numbers of autonumbered
headings (they must be in one of Word's built-in heading styles); any text
you type in manually will not be included. While it may be possible to get
Word to assign ES as a paragraph number (to a hidden heading, for this
purpose), I am dubious about this.

http://word.mvps.org

"Joseph Talbott" wrote in message
I am jumping in mid-production on a large document that has been, pretty
much, manually prepared (page numbers, TOC, Tables & figures, etc.). I
have
managed to automate most functions (TOC, Table and figure numbering with
lists, Index, etc.) but one thing still eludes me. The document uses page
numbers in the executive summary that have a prefix of ES (e.g. ES-1,
ES-2,
etc.). I can get the pages formatted to display the correct ES-n number on
the page but, so far, I haven't figured out how to have the whole ES-n
number
show up in the TOC.

Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. I suppose that I can always
inter the prefix manually after updating the TOC before the final print.

Joe

.