Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
poetlar poetlar is offline

Default Getting rid of auto capital when starting new line?

Since I write a lot of poetry I want to get rid of the auto capitalize at
start of new line of text. How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word considers a new line as the start of a new paragraph and thus as a new
paragraph begins with a capital letter, autocorrect changes the lower case
letter to upper case.

There are three ways to deal with this
1. Turn off the autocorrect option 'capitalise first letter of sentences.
2. Press CTRL+Z to immediately undo the capitalisation as it occurs
3. (and probably the best in your circumstances) press Shift+Enter to create
a line break within the current paragraph.

"poetlar" wrote in message
Since I write a lot of poetry I want to get rid of the auto capitalize at
start of new line of text. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Graham has said, #3 is definitely your best choice for the
very good reason that it not only eliminates the capitalization problem but
also allows you to format your paragraph with some Spacing Before/After so
that you don't have to press Enter twice to add space between stanzas. The
best solution of all is to create a Poetry style that has the Spacing
Before/After, as well as an appropriate left indent to visually center the
lines if they are short.

A bit more about the second part: Increasingly I see poetry centered on the
page--that is, each line centered. This is NOT a good idea in most cases and
makes the text more difficult to read. Instead, the entire block should be
left-aligned but visually centered based on the average line length. This
can be achieved with a left indent. There's no way to create a style that
will be correct for every poem (unless they're very uniform), but you can
start with a "pretty good" indent and then adjust the text manually for a
given poem by selecting the text and dragging the indent marker on the
ruler.

http://word.mvps.org