Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren Zielke Lauren Zielke is offline

Default Table of Authorities entry sorting

Is there a way to change the sort order of entries generated in the Table of
Authorities (Word 2007)?

I need the entries to list in order of first appearance (i.e., first "long
form" cite), not alphabetically. No need to group by category (cases,
statutes, rules, etc.). (By "section," I don't mean Word-defined document
sections, but, rather, heading/sub-heading sections, as in Section I.A.1.,
Section I.A.2., Section I.B., Section II.A., etc., of the document.)

Even if I use custom TOA categories and assign all authorities within a
heading section to the same category, it still alphabetizes the information
within each. I cannot find any kind of switch to change the sort order. Is
there one or some other kind of work around I'm missing/other methodology I
should use?

Thanks for any assistance/insight . . .

Lauren Zielke

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This may not be at all applicable, but if you can use Bibliography and
Citations rather than Table of Authorities, one of the built-in
styles, ISO 690 - Numerical, inserts number-references in the text in
the order they're cited, and yields a numbered bibliography. With the
peculiar quirk that journal articles are entered by title rather than
by author.