Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karthick Karthick is offline

Default Delete the Column

Hello,
i have created the word document with rows and columns, I have merged some
rows, but i have to deleted 2 columns in that table. If i selected that 2
columns the merged rows also selected and deleted. But iwant that merged row.
How can i delete the 2 column without deleteing the merged rows. pls help.

Thaanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Merge cells" is the last thing you should do when setting up a table,
because when you try to reverse it (in order to do somethig to a
column, for instance), the new cells almost never line up with the
columns you have.

You should put up with adding all the content of the merged cell to
the leftmost cell in that group (ignoring the formatting), and it will
come out right when you finally do the Merge.

One possibility is to copy the table as it is now to a different
document, and then use Undo to go back before the Merge cells, and
make your changes, and then copy the data from the duplicate table
into the properly formatted table. (The reason for putting it into a
different document is that otherwise the first thing Undo would undo
would be making the copy!)

On Mar 19, 12:53*am, karthick
wrote:
Hello,
i have created the word document with rows and columns, I have merged some
rows, but i have to deleted 2 columns in that table. If i selected that 2
columns the merged rows also selected and deleted. But iwant that merged row.
How can i delete the 2 column without deleteing the merged rows. pls help..

Thaanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nina Nina is offline

I have always resorted to the tedious task of "un"-merging the merged cells,
deleting the columns in question and, then, re-merging the desired cells.
Not a fun task. Curious to see if anyone has a simpler method.

"karthick" wrote:

Hello,
i have created the word document with rows and columns, I have merged some
rows, but i have to deleted 2 columns in that table. If i selected that 2
columns the merged rows also selected and deleted. But iwant that merged row.
How can i delete the 2 column without deleteing the merged rows. pls help.

Thaanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's the way I do it, too, if I haven't followed Peter's advice to make
sure I have the table the way I want it before merging cells.

http://word.mvps.org

"karthick" wrote:

Hello,
i have created the word document with rows and columns, I have merged
some
rows, but i have to deleted 2 columns in that table. If i selected that 2
columns the merged rows also selected and deleted. But iwant that merged
row.
How can i delete the 2 column without deleteing the merged rows. pls
help.

Thaanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well ... my advice was to go ahead and mess it up -- but make sure you
don't have to retype everything you typed after the initial merging.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org