Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nnicko nnicko is offline

Default Moving quickly through large Word documents

Hi!
Im creating an alphabetical list of movies that I have on DVD. Right now I
have about 400 and the number grows daily.
At the beginning of the document Id like to put the alphabet so that if you
click on a letter (e.g. F) you can quickly go to that section having all my
movies starting with F.
Is such a thing possbile? Thanks.
P.S. Im using Word 2007 with Vista Ultimate.

--
nnicko
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Assign a bookmark to start of each letter in your document. Then at the top
of your document, add hyperlinks to the bookmarks.

Yves

"nnicko" wrote in message
Hi!
Im creating an alphabetical list of movies that I have on DVD. Right now
have about 400 and the number grows daily.
At the beginning of the document Id like to put the alphabet so that if
you
click on a letter (e.g. F) you can quickly go to that section having all
my
movies starting with F.
Is such a thing possbile? Thanks.
P.S. Im using Word 2007 with Vista Ultimate.

--
nnicko

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Probably the quickest way is to make a style-based table of contents.

First define a new style with an Outline Level of 1 (I'm assuming you
haven't used a Heading 1 elsewhere in the document). Insert a
paragraph at the start of each section, type the letter of that
section in the paragraph, and apply your style to it. Then insert a
table of contents at the beginning of the document, and use the TOC
option to limit the TOC to just Outline Level 1. The TOC entries are,
by default, hyperlinked to the pages.

Another possibility, but more work, is to use cross-references to
construct the links.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman