Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Person trying to use office Person trying to use office is offline

Default Ribbon using 1/2 of screen suggestions?

I just installed the Word 2007, but the space between the icons is taking up
so much room I can only write on a 4 x 6 area. There are bars on all sides.
So I will have to take it off and go back to 2003 unless I find a way to
minimize the area and make the icons small. I have old eyes and cannot make
the text any smaller, so the following won't work after reading all the
posts I can find for 3 days.
1. DPI -I need it at the size it is to see the text for all the other
programs and what I am writing. 2.Screen resolution-same thing.
It is the icon size and all the empty space that is the problem.
I changed the Theme and that seemed to help a little, but not enough to make
it work keeping this very expensive suite of programs.

Any suggestions besides getting an Apple would be appreciated because that
is where I am going if I can't resolve this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or... if you're more keyboard-oriented, Ctrl+F1 also toggles the ribbon
on/off. Since I don't use F11 for "Next Field," I assigned it to the
ToggleRibbon command for even easier (for me, anyway) non-mouse one-finger
access to the ribbon toggle.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Double click one of the tabs on the ribbon and the ribbon will auto-hide.
Double click again to restore default action.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Person trying to use office[_2_] Person trying to use office[_2_] is offline

Thank you for the suggestions. However, if the ribbon is minimized, then I
cannot use the commands, so I cannot format text, or do any of the hundreds
of other things that I did with other Word programs. I think that I am going
to take it off the computer. But thanks. I don't think that Microsoft
considered that all of us don't have the newest latest computers when they
put out this program.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Person trying to use office[_2_] Person trying to use office[_2_] is offline

Thank you for your help, but if the ribbon is minimized then I cannot use the
commands that are located in the ribbon and I keep having to turn it on, so
that defeats the purpose of minimizing it. My laptop isn't that old, only 3
years, but obviously too old to run this program. I will take it off and
switch to Open office and let the rest of the people in the company figure
out how to convert my files I guess.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When the ribbon is minimized, you access the commands on it by single-
clicking on the tab you need.

Do you realize you can put the commands you use frequently onto the
Quick Access Toolbar, and you can place the QAT below the Ribbon for
easier access?

And I'm puzzled by your statement that there are things taking up the
sides and bottom of your screen as well as the top. You don't need to
have anything on the sides besides the ruler and the scroll bar (and
you can even have them go away if necessary), and the Status Bar at
the bottom of the document window contains the most important
information about navigating in your document (and right-click on it
to see all the other useful information it can contain).

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
Or... if you're more keyboard-oriented, Ctrl+F1 also toggles the ribbon
on/off. Since I don't use F11 for "Next Field," I assigned it to the
ToggleRibbon command for even easier (for me, anyway) non-mouse one-finger
access to the ribbon toggle.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible
Blog:http://word.herbtyson.com
Web:http://www.herbtyson.com

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Double click one of the tabs on the ribbon and the ribbon will auto-hide.
Double click again to restore default action.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org