Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Button Terry Button is offline

Default Alternative drives.

I write large amounts of text of a technical nature. I find it necessary to
log onto several drives at once; C drive, A drive, remote web-site and F
drive (memory stick). Can I display the current drive on screen so that I
know at a glance which one I am on?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you customize a toolbar (in Wordd 2003 or earlier) or the Quick
Access Toolbar (in Word 2007 or 2010) to add the Document Location
dropdown, it will show the full path of the currently active document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:03:02 -0700, Terry Button Terry
wrote:

I write large amounts of text of a technical nature. I find it necessary to
log onto several drives at once; C drive, A drive, remote web-site and F
drive (memory stick). Can I display the current drive on screen so that I
know at a glance which one I am on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When using Word, you should only work with documents that are located on the
Hard Drive, NEVER with documents that are located on a memory stick.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Terry Button" Terry wrote in message
I write large amounts of text of a technical nature. I find it necessary
log onto several drives at once; C drive, A drive, remote web-site and F
drive (memory stick). Can I display the current drive on screen so that I
know at a glance which one I am on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can display the path of the current document in the Word title bar by
adding the following line to an autopen macro in the normal template

ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName

However you should never ever open documents from floppy drive and it is
inadvisable to open documents from flash drive. These are the biggest causes
of data loss.