cioran cioran is offline
Junior Member

Location: Sweden
Default Force dotted line in character? (Word 2007)

Good day,

first post here so please forgive any obvious mistakes or breaches of established decorum.

I'm working with phonetics and other symbols to indicate pronunciation in various languages. I've been asked to insert a dotted semi-circular bow in what I believe is called subscript in English MS Word (I'm on Swedish).

I don't know if this will render properly, but apart from the bow being solid it should look like this: abc◡def. (I can see it doesn't render as in the document - please imagine the bow is lowered to text base level.)
I've found several fonts which will provide the bow in question, for instance Lucida Sans Unicode, but when right-clicking the highlighted character I'm offered a number of options (shade, contour, grave, etc.), but I cannot make the line dotted.

I've looked at a number of collections of codes online, but can't find the one I'm looking for.
I'm loath to insert an arc figure, since figures are often tricky enough to deal with as it is (I have several in the text already), and because the need for subscript is likely to mess up the spacing.

Does anyone have a trick for forcing a character to become dotted, via code shortcuts or otherwise?
Or, failing that, know of a font which can do the job?

Thanks for your time,

All the best