Peter Preston-Thomas Peter Preston-Thomas is offline
Junior Member

Location: Carp, Ontario, Canada
Default SpellCheck Language - All Languages doesn't seem to work

I suppose this may be more Outlook oriented but I'm posting here since it is an Office dictionary question and I found the most useful information on the dictionary in this Word forum.

I'm in Canada and, if I compose a new Outlook email, the language is English (Canada) and it uses my dictionary. Often when I reply to an email, it doesn't pick up my custom dictionary and I find the language is English (United States) ... and it doesn't even allow my custom spellings and I can't add to that (United States) dictionary (presumably because Canada is my primary one). So, I wanted to change the behaviour...

I tried copying my custom dictionary and making it All Languages - and deleting my Canada dictionary. That way, it would pick up the words whatever the setting of the document (email in this case) I was working on. Right? Apparently, not. Now, when I changed the language of my Custom dictionary to United States, it verified the spelling and fired off the email right away. So my impression is that is will accept a language-specific custom dictionary, but doesn't recognize "All Languages." My basic question is why didn't that work for me and how can I get it to use my custom list - regardless of language (primarily USA or Canada.)

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
...Peter
Peter Preston-Thomas Peter Preston-Thomas is offline
Junior Member

Location: Carp, Ontario, Canada

I forgot to mention that my Office install is 2007 on a Vista OS.
...PPT