Curious Greg

Default protected doc

I have many .doc that are created in word 2000 and protected. The problem is
that they can not be opened in word 2003. Error might be corrupted. If I take
the protection off I can open the doc. This means opening them all in 2000,
taking the protection off, saving them, opening them in 2003 protecting them,
saving them and replacing the origionals. Is there a fix for office 2003 to
open a protected 2000 .doc?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q3VyaW91cyBHcmVn?=,

I have many .doc that are created in word 2000 and protected. The problem is
that they can not be opened in word 2003. Error might be corrupted. If I take
the protection off I can open the doc. This means opening them all in 2000,
taking the protection off, saving them, opening them in 2003 protecting them,
saving them and replacing the origionals. Is there a fix for office 2003 to
open a protected 2000 .doc?

This is the first time I've heard of this particular problem, so it must be
damage in these particular form files (all created from the same template?). So,
no, there's no fix for this, as it's not generally a problem.

The only shortcut that occurs to me would be to use Insert/File in Word 2003 to
bring them into a new document. That will always circumvent document protection
(I'm assuming we're talking about the Tools/Protect document command, here). So
all you'd need to do would be re-protect the document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)