Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dcd111 dcd111 is offline

Default One-time insertion of text from other files

I would like to create a series of templates for a particular purpose. Some
of the text in these templates will be different, but a lot of it will be the
same. I would like to be able to somehow link the templates to one "master"
where the similar language could be changed, changing it for all of the
templates.

I know I can just paste these sections as links, but I don't want the saved
document to depend on the links, and once the template is saved as a new
document I don't want any possibility that future changes to the linked text
will change existing documents. Having to break the links manually every
time the template is opened to create a new document is unwieldy and above
the heads of the people using the templates.

Is there some way to grab text from another Word file on a one-time basis
when a template is opened, but without maintaining any kind of link after
that point so that any saved document will stand alone?