b1_1950

Default Word 2003 - Calculator gone AWOL

Hi,
In Word 2000, there used to be a calculator that would calculate numbers
randomly interspersed within text of a word document.

I can't find it in word 2003 - does it still exist? If so, can someone
please tell me how I use it now - I can't find the calculator icon in the
toolbars/customise

Thanks
Jay Freedman

b1_1950 wrote:
Hi,
In Word 2000, there used to be a calculator that would calculate
numbers randomly interspersed within text of a word document.

I can't find it in word 2003 - does it still exist? If so, can
someone please tell me how I use it now - I can't find the calculator
icon in the toolbars/customise

Thanks

It's still there. In the Tools category, near the bottom, you should find
"Tools Calculate". Drag it to a menu (probably Tools g) or to a toolbar.

For those not familiar with this command, it works like this: Select any
text containing numbers and, optionally, parentheses and operators (+, -, /,
*) -- if there are no operators, addition is assumed. Any non-mathematical
words that may be included are usually ignored, although they may sometimes
cause the result to be "Syntax Error". If you're lucky and don't trigger the
Research pane, you can select a column of numbers by holding Alt while you
click&drag, and the column will be totaled.

When the text is selected, click the Tools Calculate command. The result of
the calculation will be on the clipboard to be pasted wherever you want it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

It works for me in Word 2003, but you have to have text selected before the
command is available.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/ToolsCalculate.htm

newsgroup so