Fagaras Codrut Sebastian Fagaras Codrut Sebastian is offline
Junior Member

Default Superscripts removed when applying style

Hello all,

I have a document from a client. The agency must have used some OCR that converted that document from a PDF or something. When I receive it it was a mess. Full of columns and text boxes overlapping one over another. I noticed that when I clicked on the text and hit CTRL+A (Select all), I could copy the text into another MS Word file I prepared based on the original PDF where I also created styles for paragraphs and for characters.

So, once I copied the text into the new file I start looking for superscripts and subscripts with Find and Replace option. Basically I asked the MS Word to look for any superscript and replace it with character styles Superscript I defined. I did the same for subscripts and everything was perfect.

After that I selected the entire text and I applied the paragraph style Body, which I also create. After I finished laying out the document, the horror. Actually all superscripts and subscripts are missing.

In InDesign once you applied a character styles to a word or letter you can apply as many paragraphs styles you want because nothing is changed. I use this method for superscripts and subscripts in InDesign with success.

Why is not working in MS Word file? What am I gonna do as I cannot use the original MS Word file properly? The file is full of chemical equations so it is quite a big issue using Find and Replace option to look manually after them.

If tech informations are required, here they a

Windows 7
MS Office 2007 suite

Is there a script or something to fix this issue? Or am I doing something not in the proper sequence?

Any help is appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Sebastian,

[Word 2007]
So, once I copied the text into the new file I start
looking for superscripts and subscripts with Find
and Replace option. Basically I asked the MS Word
to look for any superscript and replace it with
character styles Superscript I defined. I did the same
for subscripts and everything was perfect.

An alternative: Replace with "Highlight", e. g. yellow and green. The
Highlight formatting cannot be removed by Ctrl+Space, nor by applying
any style.
So after having applied any paragraph style you can replace yellow
highlight by Superscript 1, green higlight by Subscript.

After that I selected the entire text and
I applied the paragraph style Body, which
I also create. After I finished laying out the
document, the horror. Actually all superscripts
and subscripts are missing.

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Did you apply a pure Paragraph
style or a Linked style? On which style is the Body style based on?

---
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]