simon-600 simon-600 is offline
Junior Member

Default Tool/plugin for managing and referring to list items?

Hi,

I'm working on a big Word document which contains various numbered propositions or statements which are then referred to throughout the body of the document.

For example, the document will contain a number of statements like this at various points:

(1) Sally crossed the road
(2) Sally crosses the road

What I'm looking for is a way to manage the list of such propositions, and, most importantly, cross reference them in the text such that I don't need to keep track of which number proposition they are.

Obviously, I could just create a Word numbered list. But I can't then insert any kind of cross reference to proposition 1, and have that reference automatically update if I insert a new proposition before it in the text. So if I refer to the numbers created by a numbered list, and then add or remove some of the items, I would have to manually update all my references.

I've also tried using an MS Word Field with the SEQ keyword. This allows me to insert automatic references to the last used entry in the list, but that is all. I can't reference any old item in the list.

Does anyone know of any tool, macro or plugin that might facilitate this kind of cross referencing?
simon-600 simon-600 is offline
Junior Member

Turns out this can (almost) be done with the default Cross-reference tool; cross-references can be made to individual list items.

The fields don't refresh automatically, but you can auto-regenerate them all at once and that workds pretty well.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You may find it helpful to learn that cross-reference fields will update if
you switch to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then back to your previous view
(ESC).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP