Dawn Reid Dawn Reid is offline
Junior Member

Location: New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to Dawn Reid
Lightbulb Looking for suggestion or approach for forms that are inserted into bigger doc

Although I am a little rusty with creating forms and templates in Word 2010, so far my forms and templates is coming along very well. Thank you all for your help.

First question: what is the best way to ensure Quick Parts are embedded in a template and other users can work with them? Should I save it in the template itself, or save it in Building Blocks? I assume in the template itself, but I want to be sure...or maybe it does not matter.

Second question/idea: I'm currently trying to figure out a design approach for inserting standalone forms into larger documents. Right now I have "reference fields" in the forms. That allows for populating data that is entered once in the form throughout the entire document. However, if users want to work with a form independent of the larger document, they cannot enter the data directly because of the ref field. So,I need to make the standalone forms flexible enough to insert in larger documents as needed, but also to use by themselves. users need to be able to enter the data when the form is standalone, but the standalone form must be able to reference previsouly coded fields in the larger documents. Any suggestions on how to work around or with this? Here are some thoughts I came up with so far, but maybe I'm not seeing the flaws:

1) Create Quick Parts for the part of the form that needs to referencees other form fieldsin the larger documents, but make the standalone documents actual user forms with form fields. Users can take advantage of the Insert Obbject, Text from file to get the form data but then insert the Quick Part which has the ref fields into the larger forms. The standalone forms can then have its form fields without causing an issue to inserting the body content into larger documents. (don't really see a flaw in this one--let me know if you do)

2) Create 2 sets of forms: one with ref field for larger documents and another that serves as a standalone user form (issue with this is if there are changes, both forms must be updated)

3) Any other ideas are welcomed...

Thanks again...