Al

Default How to show only differences after compare

After 2 docs are compared, I have a temp doc with differences identified
(inserts in blue underline and deletes in red strike through). Is there a
way to delete all the unchanged black text so only the changes remain? I am
using Word 2002.
Shauna Kelly

Hi

I don't think there's a built-in way to do what you want. But there may be a
way around it.

At File Print, in the Print What box, choose List of Markup. That lets you
print out a list of the changes. Would that satisfy your needs?

If you really need a Word document with the list of markup, then you can
trick Word into doing that, too.

1. First, some preliminaries. Do File Print. At the top of that dialog, in
the Name list, do you have "Generic / Text Only" as an option? If so, then
continue. If not, then do Start Settings Printers and Faxes (or similar
commands, depending on your version of Windows). Choose to Add a printer.
When you get to the list of manufacturers, find Generic, and choose the
"Generic / Text only" printer.

2. You're at the Print dialog, right? (If not, do File Print). At the top
of that dialog, in the Name drop-down list, choose Generic / Text Only. Tick
"Print to file" and click OK. Word will now ask you for a file name, and it
will then "print" the markup to a new document with the file name you chose.
It's a good idea to use a .doc extension (eg "MyChanges.doc"). You can then
open the file it created and edit it like any Word document.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Al" wrote in message
4.210...
After 2 docs are compared, I have a temp doc with differences identified
(inserts in blue underline and deletes in red strike through). Is there a
way to delete all the unchanged black text so only the changes remain? I
am
using Word 2002.

Wyoh

I have been trying any method possible to use the "print to file" feature for
lists of markup but have been unable to do so: the resulting file does indeed
include every character that should be there, but all the letters are
scrambled (so that, for example, "orange" appears as "ornaeg"), and each
letter is separated by a minimum of eight spaces--not exactly text that I can
send in an e-mail!

I am using the "Generic/Text only"/"print to file" option in Word 2003 on XP
Professional. I have tried using a core font (Courier). I am currently using
a workaround (printing markup to Acrobat and then resaving that file as a
Word document), but this is not ideal for a number of reasons.

ANY idea what I might be doing wrong? I am happy to consider the possibility
that the fault lies with me, not with Word. All suggestions will be most
gratefully received.

Thanks,
Wyoh

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]