rayb6379

Default how do I set up conditional signatures

I have a letter that may go out to one of four areas of our city and would
like to have one of four signatures appear at the bottom of the letter
depending on the area.

We have the id/name of the person who is to be contacted at the top of the
letter, which I'm hoping can be used in the selection.

Any suggestions as to how this could be done (if it is possible that is)
would be greatly appreciated.
Margaret Aldis

Yes, can be done using IF fields provided the id/name to test can be picked
up.

Help gives syntax and examples for IF. For the test you'll need an embedded
field to pick up the id/name value. There are various ways you might do
that:

1. id/name in a custom document property - if it is then you can use the
DOCPROPERTY field to pick it up both at the top of the letter and in the IF
tests.

2. id/name is in (or can be reliably given) a specific style - pick it up
using STYLEREF field.

3. Bookmark the id/name - pick it up using a REF field.

In making your decision, think about how people edit the documents and what
they can (and will) mess up - bookmarks can be very difficult to keep in
place, for instance.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"rayb6379" wrote in message
I have a letter that may go out to one of four areas of our city and would
like to have one of four signatures appear at the bottom of the letter
depending on the area.

We have the id/name of the person who is to be contacted at the top of the
letter, which I'm hoping can be used in the selection.

Any suggestions as to how this could be done (if it is possible that is)
would be greatly appreciated.

If this is a mail merge, then much the easiest way to approach it is to add
a field to the mail merge data source that contains a number from 1 to 4.
Code this for each recipient and then use conditional fields to add the
signature based on the area code.