gearjam

Default word should allow a quarter line seperator instead of whole line

I am writing a research paper. In such a document you have the body of the
work, endnotes, and then bibliography. Word automatically places €śline
separators€ť on the endnote pages and then ads them to the bibliography pages
as well. I can get rid of the line separator for the entire document and then
use the borders key to add them back on the specific pages I need them on
(endnote pages). The problem is that if you start endnotes on a new page from
the body of the paper I can only add the borderline for the entire page
instead of quarter of the page like is required. To fix this under the
boarder box preview key add a button with a quarter of a line instead of the
whole line like is there. This would give the user the choice of use and fix
this problem.

I haven't been able to make sense of your post, but perhaps it will be
helpful to you to know that you can edit or remove the Footnote/Endnote
Separator and/or the Footnote/Endnote Continuation Separator.

1. In Normal view, View | Footnotes.

2. In the footnote/endnote pane, select the desired separator from the
dropdown list.

3. Select the line and delete it if desired. You can extend the
Footnote/Endnote Separator by copying and pasting, or you can create a new
one from scratch using underlines, em dashes, or a drawing line.

4. If you choose to delete the line, you may want to format the remaining
paragraph as 1 pt or Hidden so that it won't take up space.

Are you placing your endnotes at the end of each section or at the end of
the document? If you've collected them at the end of the document and are
then adding a bibliography, you have created the bibliography as part of the
last endnote (and it could be deleted along with it), which is why it
displays the Endnote Continuation Separator.

If you need to add text after the endnotes, the correct way to do this is to
set the endnotes to appear at the end of each section and then suppress them
for every section but the last (well, next-to-last, since the last section
will be the one that contains your bibliography, index, appendixes, etc.).
The "Suppress endnotes" setting is on the Layout tab of Page Setup.

"gearjam" wrote in message
[...]

gearjam

Hi Suzanne,
You understood my question and the fix you recommended works. First I am
placing the endnotes at end of the entire document followed by the
bibliography. I already got rid of the line separator as you outlined. But
here is what I was running into: if I leave the start of endnotes on the same
page as the last page of my document then word puts the quarter line
separator as is required. However I am required by the style I am using to
start the endnotes on a separate page. In this case, word does not put the
quarter of a line separator on the endnotes and I was using boarders and
shading under format to add the line on top of the document. My suggestion
was for Microsoft to add a button with a quarter of a line on the preview
side of the popup and this would fix the problem. I just tried the rest of
your fix and it seems to have worked on a document and now I am going to try
it on my paper and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
Thanks,

"gearjam" wrote in message
[...]

If you're starting the endnotes on a separate page, I would think that you
would have a heading such as "Endnotes" instead of any kind of line
separator. The point of the separator is (obviously) to separate the notes
from other text on the page, and if there *is* no other text on the page...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"gearjam" wrote in message
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

I can get rid of the line separator for the entire document and then
use the borders key to add them back on the specific pages I need them on
(endnote pages).

Suzanne covered all the basics--but a couple comments--you do NOT need
endnote separators at the top of every endnote page. There is not a
standard out there (I'm pretty sure) that requires a superfluous line at the
top of each page of endnotes. The endnote separator line only exists
because the Word developers who set up endnotes a long time borrowed it from
footnotes (where is is required) without thinking, having never seen a book
with endnotes, and there is no reason for it to be there.

The problem is that if you start endnotes on a new page from
the body of the paper I can only add the borderline for the entire page
instead of quarter of the page like is required.

One more clarification: the short line is the Endnote Separator and the long
line is the Endnote Continuation Separator. Word automatically uses the
Endnote Continuation Separator when a note continues from the previous page,
so no, I don't think you can control which you get. If you are seeing it in
circumstances where a note does *not* continue from the previous page, I'm
thinking you might have done something else weird (in addition to typing
your bibliography as part of an endnote). (but as I said above, it's
irrelevant, because you should delete both of them)

By the way, if you use Normal View (and View | Footnotes to see the
endnotes) Word will then hide Endnote space from you and it will be
impossible to make the biblio part of an endnote. It's also a little easier
to see what you are citing as you type the notes, with Normal View on.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/