Laura

Default Word 2003 screen draw and scroll problems

Greetings,
I have Word 2003 on 2 computers, and on both of them graphics in the header
do not appear consistently. I have my options set to show graphics, but
most often they do not show. Changing my zoom in print layout or print
preview makes them appear/disappear. Sometimes they'll appear for a second
and then disappear. Sometimes I see a frame where they should be. (But I
do not have "show picture placeholders" checked.)

I also noticed when I scroll it seems very klunky, and if I have a graphic
in my header it resists scrolling to the top of the page.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've tried turning off any settings
that seem like they would use a lot of memory. No luck.

Thanks.
Laura

Jay Freedman

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:55:51 -0700, "Laura" wrote:

Greetings,
I have Word 2003 on 2 computers, and on both of them graphics in the header
do not appear consistently. I have my options set to show graphics, but
most often they do not show. Changing my zoom in print layout or print
preview makes them appear/disappear. Sometimes they'll appear for a second
and then disappear. Sometimes I see a frame where they should be. (But I
do not have "show picture placeholders" checked.)

I also noticed when I scroll it seems very klunky, and if I have a graphic
in my header it resists scrolling to the top of the page.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've tried turning off any settings
that seem like they would use a lot of memory. No luck.

Thanks.
Laura

Hi Laura,

It's likely that your video driver isn't up to the demands of Word.

Visit the web site of the video card's manufacturer to see if they
have an updated driver.

If not, you can try turning down the hardware acceleration.
Right-click a blank area of the desktop and click Properties. On the
Settings tab of the dialog, click the Advanced button. On the
Troubleshooting tab of the next dialog, move the hardware acceleration
slider a few notches or more toward None. Then see if Word behaves
better.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Laura

Jay,

The latest video driver didn't work (it's a new computer and monitor, I
expect more!) -- BUT the de-accelleration did!!! I had to drag it into the
setting for "severe problems" -- but problem solved!

Thanks so much!!!

Laura

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

TF

If these computers have Intel 915 chipsets with the integrated GMA900
graphics, then visit the link below and download the latest driver that
resolves the problem.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...=1764&lang=eng

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: I also noticed when I scroll it seems very klunky, and if I have a graphic
: in my header it resists scrolling to the top of the page.
:
: Is anyone else having this problem? I've tried turning off any settings
: that seem like they would use a lot of memory. No luck.
:
: Thanks.
: Laura
:
:

Graham Mayor

What screen driver is this? The two major culprits are Intel's video driver
(mentioned by Terry in this thread) and ATI's latest offerings. I believe
the manufacturers of both have new drivers on the web sites. Certainly Intel
does.

Laura wrote:
Jay,

The latest video driver didn't work (it's a new computer and monitor,
I expect more!) -- BUT the de-acceleration did!!! I had to drag it