Fleur

Default How do I prevent Word from inserting the figure itself, while ins.

I am trying to insert cross-references to Figures in my document. Sometimes
it works, however, other times it inserts the figure itself along with the
cross-reference into my document. Why is it happening and how do I prevent it?

Thanks

When you insert a cross-reference, Word creates a bookmark around the text
you are cross-referencing. If you later go back and add something (in this
case, the figure), it is all too easy to get that something inside the
bookmark. To be safe, never press Enter at the beginning of a bookmarked
paragraph to insert a new paragraph. Instead press Enter at the end of the
preceding paragraph. And of course the figure and caption must be in
separate paragraphs.

"Fleur" wrote in message
I am trying to insert cross-references to Figures in my document.

Sometimes
it works, however, other times it inserts the figure itself along with the
cross-reference into my document. Why is it happening and how do I prevent

it?

Thanks

Margaret Aldis

When you insert a cross reference, you pick up the contents of a bookmark -
either one you created yourself, or one Word creates for you (for example,
if you reference a built-in heading).

The usual reason for seeing more than you expect in the cross reference is
inserting extra material immediately before the referenced paragraph by
placing your cursor at the start of the paragraph. If you do this the
inserted content gets caught inside the bookmark and thus appears in the
cross reference. To prevent it, train yourself to put your cursor at the end
of the prior paragraph, press return and make your insertion, then remove
the final para break if necessary.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP