jroo

Default Table Formats and Margins (mht files)

Hello, I'm organizing my bookmarks/hyperlinks in a table with four
columns an one row, and saving the word file as a web page in *.mht
format. Using MS word as an editor, my hperlinks appear as I want them
to - having the text wrap automatically when it reaches the end of a
column. However, when I save the file and open it as a web page, the
right hand margin is widened on each column. Can anyone let me know how
I can prevent this from happening?

CyberTaz

Hello jroo-

I'm not the authority on this by any means, but since there have not been
any other responses I'll be happy to share what I do know.

First, the reason for the behavior is that there are probably _no_ spaces in
your hyperlinks, correct? It seems Word will allow you to resize columns to
any width for print purposes regardless of content, but the MS translation to
html will not. It seems to rely on a 'space' or line break, or paragraph
break in order to wrap text within a cell.

You can probably write the necessary tags/style definitions using the Script
Editor, but I don't know enough about the language to suggest what that code
may be. The only workaround I have found is to create manual line breaks
(Shift+Enter) at the spot where you want the content to wrap. Unfortunately,
you would have to do this for each hyperlink... which may not be a problem if
there aren't too many. If the hyperlinks are email addresses, URLs, or
contain any consistant character you can use Find & Replace to insert the
line breaks more quickly. Just be sure to use a 'manual line break' and not
just the Enter key by itself. Otherwise the hyperlinks won't work as they
should.

OTOH- If you aren't concerned about the links being active in your table
(unlikely, huh?) you could just insert spaces or paragraph breaks (Enter) to
trigger the wrapping.

BTW- Word is notoriously inept when it comes to web page design. If you have
other web design software available you might want to consider using it.

Good Luck |:)

"jroo" wrote:

Hello, I'm organizing my bookmarks/hyperlinks in a table with four
columns an one row, and saving the word file as a web page in *.mht
format. Using MS word as an editor, my hperlinks appear as I want them
to - having the text wrap automatically when it reaches the end of a
column. However, when I save the file and open it as a web page, the
right hand margin is widened on each column. Can anyone let me know how
I can prevent this from happening?

jroo

Thanks for the advice. I managed to solve my problem by adjusting the
columns by selecting table, table poperties, column, preferred width.
(changint the default wdith from 1.66" to 2.5"

Although this seems to have been in an easy fix... I didn't run into
this problem when I iniitally created my "bookmark tables" using MS
2000.

To create my "bookmark list", I usually just insert a 4 (row) by 1
(column). And then i set the "Table preferred width" to 10.

Using MS 2003, when i followed these steps, the table appears to be
fine. But as I originally explained, when I save it as a web page, the
right hand margin increased in each column. Then after playing around
with the formats a bit, I realized the wdith was 1.6...and i needed to
set it to 2.5.

I wonder if there's a way to avoid these sorts of problems. I would
have expected the length of the "default columns" to have expanded when
I changed the Table width to 10"... but it didn't

I'm not much of a web page designer...so that's why i use word. I bet
MS Frontpage would be a better application to use! If anyone has any
useful links to learn it, please let me know.

THANKS