Pam

Default Numberind with Styles

I have a lengthy document using styles for 4 levels of headings. The
numbering is fine until it reaches 2 subordinates under a chapter in one
section. It goes from 5.6 to 5.6.2 and skips 5.6.1. I can't fix it. Please
help.

In another document, I use captions for figures and tables. The numbering is
fine until it reaches a point and then restarts numbering i.e. Figure 4-21,
4-22, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 4-23. I can't seem to fix this either.
--
pacleg
Stefan Blom

First, place the cursor in the problem paragraph(s) and then press
CTRL+Q (which resets paragraph formatting, including numbering, to the
style). Does that make a difference?

The next step is to make sure that numbering is setup according to the
instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Note that if a specific numbering level displays incorrectly, it might
be necessary to clear the contents of the "Number format" box and
recreate separators (by typing them), reinsert the level numbering
(via the "Number style" box) and recreate references to the numbering
of previous levels (via the "Previous level number" box).

As for caption numbering, you can select the entire document and press
F9 (to update fields). If that doesn't work, check the following:

1. Press the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar to display nonprinting
characters. If there are captions formatted with the hidden attribute
(on the Font tab of FormatFont), these should display. If you find
any hidden captions, you can delete them or clear the attribute.

2. Are you tracking changes? Numbering will not display correctly
until you have accepted all changes.

3. Since captions use SEQ fields for numbering, you can display the
so-called field codes to check if something has happened with that:
Just press ALT+F9. What do you see?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pam" wrote in message
I have a lengthy document using styles for 4 levels of headings. The
numbering is fine until it reaches 2 subordinates under a chapter in

one
section. It goes from 5.6 to 5.6.2 and skips 5.6.1. I can't fix it.

Please
help.

In another document, I use captions for figures and tables. The

numbering is
fine until it reaches a point and then restarts numbering i.e.

Figure 4-21,
4-22, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 4-23. I can't seem to fix this either.
--
pacleg

Pam

I set up my styles according to the guidelines of Shauna Kelly. That is why I
don't understand why the numbering is fine and then goes crazy. I tried
everything you suggested and the problem is not fixed. The one document that
numbers from 5.6 to 5.6.2 instead of 5.6.1 does not have any other formatting
issues. If I go up in the document closer to the 5.6, I can get it to do
5.6.1. For some reason, it just won't do it where it is suppose to. Should I
redo all of the styles?

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thank you for your help.
--
pacleg

"Pam" wrote in message
I have a lengthy document using styles for 4 levels of headings. The
numbering is fine until it reaches 2 subordinates under a chapter in

one
section. It goes from 5.6 to 5.6.2 and skips 5.6.1. I can't fix it.

Please
help.

In another document, I use captions for figures and tables. The

numbering is
fine until it reaches a point and then restarts numbering i.e.

Figure 4-21,
4-22, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 4-23. I can't seem to fix this either.
--
pacleg

Pam

Suzanne - Thank you so much! I took out the manual page breaks, restarted
numbering and it was fixed. Yeah!

Now I just have to resolve the other document. I will try the same thing
there. Do you know if this applies to captions or not? That is my issue there
where the numbering is fine, then gets goofy and reverts back to normal.
Thanks again.
--
pacleg

"Pam" wrote in message
I have a lengthy document using styles for 4 levels of headings. The
numbering is fine until it reaches 2 subordinates under a chapter in
one
section. It goes from 5.6 to 5.6.2 and skips 5.6.1. I can't fix it.
Please
help.

In another document, I use captions for figures and tables. The
numbering is
fine until it reaches a point and then restarts numbering i.e.
Figure 4-21,
4-22, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 4-23. I can't seem to fix this either.
--
pacleg

It's always a good idea to avoid manual page breaks wherever possible. Often
you can force Word to break the page where you want it to by using "Keep
with next" and "Keep lines together," but in situations where this doesn't
suffice, applying "Page break before" to a paragraph will avoid the problems
encountered when using a manual page break (which include having a page
break in cross-references if you have one before a caption). Also, if you
are tracking changes, keep in mind that the numbering will always be wonky
until you accept all the changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the document contain any manual page breaks? Page breaks take on

the
style of the following paragraph, so it's possible that some of them are
being "numbered."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.