J_Gold

Default Template woes

Hi All,

I created a mail merge template that has a graphic in it and three merge
fields. When I open it up on my computer all the merge fields display
correctly; however, when anyone else tries to access the file on their machine,
only the image appears--all the merge fields are gone. Everyone is using Word
2003. The source file is an excel document and both files are on the network.

This is the first time I have tried to create a mail merge template. What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks

Jason.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi J_Gold,

I created a mail merge template that has a graphic in it and three merge
fields. When I open it up on my computer all the merge fields display
correctly; however, when anyone else tries to access the file on their machine,
only the image appears--all the merge fields are gone. Everyone is using Word
2003. The source file is an excel document and both files are on the network.

This is the first time I have tried to create a mail merge template. What am I
doing wrong?

This doesn't sound "normal"... Hmmm. Have someone on one of these other computers
make sure that in Tools/OPtions/View the checkboxes for "non-printing characters"
are all activated. Do the fields show up, now?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

J_Gold

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the suggestion however, I can't seem to locate a "non-printing
character" under Tools|Options|View.

Also, I forgot to add that when I open it up, I get the message "Opening This
Will Run the Following SQL Command". However, this is the resulting document of
the mailmerge, not the mailmerge itself, which is why I am confused. BTW, I
checked for fields in the document, but there are none.

The message also appears when one user tries to open it, but not the other.

Cheers,

Jason

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi J_Gold,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi J_Gold,

Thanks for the suggestion however, I can't seem to locate a "non-printing
character" under Tools|Options|View.

Ah, they went and changed the label for this section to "Formatting marks" sigh

Also, I forgot to add that when I open it up, I get the message "Opening This
Will Run the Following SQL Command". However, this is the resulting document of
the mailmerge, not the mailmerge itself, which is why I am confused. BTW, I
checked for fields in the document, but there are none.

The message also appears when one user tries to open it, but not the other.

The message indicates there is a data source attached to the file. Perhaps someone
saved the main merge document, instead of actually executing the merge to a new
document? Or perhaps the document is attached to a template, and that is attached
to a data source?

In any case, see this KB article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a Word
Document - 825765
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765