Default Track changes in protected documents

We have a number of documents in Word 2000 that have been password
protected within the document. Having now migrated to Word 2003 all the
track changes show up in the documents, but as this option is greyed
out on the tools menu, you cannot turn them off unless you unprotect
the document. My problem is that we do not know the passwords. Does
anyone know of a way of turning off the track changes without
unprotecting the document?

Thanks
Shelagh

Cindy M -WordMVP-

We have a number of documents in Word 2000 that have been password
protected within the document. Having now migrated to Word 2003 all the
track changes show up in the documents, but as this option is greyed
out on the tools menu, you cannot turn them off unless you unprotect
the document. My problem is that we do not know the passwords. Does
anyone know of a way of turning off the track changes without
unprotecting the document?

Try using Insert/File to bring a document into a new document. That
should bypass any Tools/Protection kind of protection.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org