torresplus4

Default Word is saving normal?

When I save and close a document, then I close Word It always says word is
saving normal, and then takes longer than saving document, why does it do
that and how can I stop it?
Graham Mayor

For a start, you shouldn't allow it to save normal.dot by itself. Change the
setting in tools options save 'prompt to save normal.dot' and put
yourself back in control. The probable reasons for the repeated saves are
twofold.

1. You have made a change whilst editing that may need to be reflected in
normal.dot
2. You have crashed Word and there are orphan temp files.
There's not much you can do about the former except make the decision to
save or not, as for the latter, see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then the next time
you close Word agree to the prompt, and thereafter it should only prompt
where '1' applies.

torresplus4 wrote:
When I save and close a document, then I close Word It always says
word is saving normal, and then takes longer than saving document,
why does it do that and how can I stop it?

torresplus4

Ok now that I did all of this what is happening my document will close okay
but when I exit word itself a dialog box appears and says "Changes have been
made that affect the global template, normal. Do you want to save those
changes?" If I say no or cancel it will prompt me again everytime I exit, if
I say yes, it saves again every time I exit a new document.

torresplus4 wrote:
When I save and close a document, then I close Word It always says
word is saving normal, and then takes longer than saving document,
why does it do that and how can I stop it?

Charles Kenyon

The message "Changes have been made that affect the global template -
normal. Do you wish to save those changes?" is an important warning. It
suppplements your virus detector and handles other potential problems. Its
display means that changes have been made, whether you intended to make
changes or not. You can also get it when your template has been altered by a
poorly written Add-In program or by a virus.

The reason for the message being shown repeatedly is almost always a poorly
written Add-In. The Norton AV Office Plug-In seems to be the most frequent
offender recently, but that can change as some other poorly written program
comes on the market.

Other offenders include the MS Works Suite Add-In, EZ-Photo, Scansoft, and
Adobe Acrobat. These all install Add-Ins that mess with your normal.dot when
they shouldn't do so and don't need to do so. Some of these are .dot files,
others are installed. See URL:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm for
instructions on seeing what Add-Ins you have. (Having Add-Ins is not a bad
thing. I run Word with 15 Add-Ins, most of which I wrote myself.)

Start with the Add-Ins I've noted. If you have any of them, decide whether
they are worth the annoyance they are causing you. Probably they are not.
Disable any that are not worth the candle. Restart Word and see if your
problem is gone.

If not...

If you start Word using
Start = Run: Winword.exe /a
you'll end up with Word out of the box loading without your saved normal.dot
file, with no macros and no Add-Ins. You may notice that it loads much more
quickly than you are used to seing. When you close it, you won't get the
"normal.dot" prompt. Doing this may fix the problem, by itself, but probably
will not. Generally, it is a diagnostic, not a fix.

So, what you need to do is disable all of your Add-Ins (don't delete them).
Start by moving .dot files out of your Word Startup folder, one-by-one, with
Word closed. Restart Word and see if that Add-In caused the problem. If not,
put it back in and take the next one out. (You can put them in a sub-folder
of your Startup folder.) If none of them are the problem, move to the .com
Add-Ins that have to be uninstalled.

If your offender is not on my list, please write back and let us know which
one caused your problems.

Write to the company that put out the Add-In with a complaint, and possibly
a bill for your time.

Hope this helps,