TappinMom

Default Can I send an email from a form with a choice from drop down list

I created a form with drop down lists. When I send this via email, the
choices from the drop down list do not show up. Is this possible?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Did you use an ActiveX control from the Control Toolbox? If so, then
you had to add the list to the drop down via VBA code. If that is the
case...then you probably left the code in your own Normal.dot.

If you use the drop down from the Forms Toolbar, then it's a form
field and it'll travel with the document with no problem.

See this link for more help with forms:
http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:34:06 -0700, TappinMom
wrote:

I created a form with drop down lists. When I send this via email, the
choices from the drop down list do not show up. Is this possible?

TappinMom

wrote:

I created a form with drop down lists. When I send this via email, the
choices from the drop down list do not show up. Is this possible?

I created the drop down lists from the form menu. When I email the form to myself, these fields do not show up. However, if I print out the form from the actual document, the fields show up.

I wasn't able to find information to this particular problem in Dian's
tutorials. (Although there is a lot of information there in an easy to
understand format that I plan on going back to.)

Any other suggestions?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

The problem APPEARS to be that you are using controls from the CONTROL
TOOLBOX. Are you? If so...use the ones from the Forms Toolbar.

Granted, there won't be an article in there that says "if you are
using a drop down and your code isn't travelling...this is what you
are doing wrong"...but there ARE many tutorials (Start with the series
called "Please Fill out this Form") that show you how to properly use
the drop down form field from the forms toolbar.

But you need to answer my question for me to know if this is the
problem for sure...what toolbar are you using to add your drop down?

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

I created a form with drop down lists. When I send this via email, the
choices from the drop down list do not show up. Is this possible?

I created the drop down lists from the form menu. When I email the form to myself, these fields do not show up. However, if I print out the form from the actual document, the fields show up.

I wasn't able to find information to this particular problem in Dian's
tutorials. (Although there is a lot of information there in an easy to
understand format that I plan on going back to.)

Any other suggestions?

TappinMom

wrote:

I created a form with drop down lists. When I send this via email, the
choices from the drop down list do not show up. Is this possible?

I created the drop down lists from the form menu. When I email the form to myself, these fields do not show up. However, if I print out the form from the actual document, the fields show up.

I wasn't able to find information to this particular problem in Dian's
tutorials. (Although there is a lot of information there in an easy to
understand format that I plan on going back to.)

Any other suggestions?

I am using the controls from the form menu (View/Toolbars/Forms). I even deleted the dropdowns and added them in again to be sure.

Charles Kenyon

And you tried emailing this form and it still was losing your choices? What
you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." For more about
online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

These travel very well by email so long as they aren't using macros. (If
they are, you need to be sure to package the macros in the form _and_ make
sure the recipient is able and willing to run the macros.)

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"TappinMom" wrote in message

I am using the controls from the form menu (View/Toolbars/Forms). I even
deleted the dropdowns and added them in again to be sure.to be sure.

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

I am using the controls from the form menu (View/Toolbars/Forms). I even deleted the dropdowns and added them in again to be sure.

Okay, well what you are saying isn't making sense. If you created the
properly, they WILL travel with the document with no problem. So
please describe EXACTLY what you did to add them to your document and
how you went about adding the items to the drop down.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

TappinMom

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

I am using the controls from the form menu (View/Toolbars/Forms). I even deleted the dropdowns and added them in again to be sure.

Okay, well what you are saying isn't making sense. If you created the
properly, they WILL travel with the document with no problem. So
please describe EXACTLY what you did to add them to your document and
how you went about adding the items to the drop down.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

I created a new document, entered text and then clicked on the drop-down form field button from the forms control menu.

Then right clicking on the field to update the properties I add 4 menu
items. I did not enter any macro info and the box is checked for drop-down
enabled. I then clicked o.k.

I clicked on the lock to protect the document and saved it as a .dot file.

To test I create a new document using the .dot file as my template. I choose
an option in the drop down box and then click on the envelope to email the
document to myself. I do not receive any option in the drop down field.

Is there something I'm missing?

TIA

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Nope...doesn't sound like you're missing anything.

I just tried the same thing...and it worked for me. Are you sending it
as an attachment or what?

If you want, you can send me your DOT and I'll take a look to make
sure it is right. This is a bit baffling???? You can send it to me at
. Just pls be sure to remind me of this conversation
as I get lots of requests each day and want to make sure to catch this
one.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials:
http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:28:04 -0700, TappinMom
wrote:

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

[...]

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

As an FYI to anyone reading this thread...I checked out this user's
doc and it turned out that she was emailing the Word form as a message
and not an attachment. That meant the doc was being converted into
HTML and, therefore, not properly converting the drop down. By
emailing the file as an attachment...all is well.