Grace

Default printing fractions

I have a document with a lot of different fractions.... technical
specifications....
and the fraction is not printing out on the document. You can see it on the
screen.. but when you print the fraction part of the number is not printed.
The fraction has a " mark after it to show that it is inches. It is entered
by the number , then back slash, then number , then quote sign.....

So it would look like this
16 Ea. - Flush Birch 1 ?" - 3'0" x 6'8" prehung in 4 ?" FJ one
piece

the 3/8 and 5/8 in this particular line are not printing...
Any help would be appreciated

I hope this makes sense..
Thanks

Grace

The user is printing to a HP8150 using PCL5e
I don't see anywhere in the printer properties to change this info you are
talking about.

Any other suggestions??
thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Your printer may be using resident fonts that don't contain these
characters. Try printing TrueType fonts as graphics (this setting or
something resembling it will be in your printer Properties).

so
all may benefit.

"Grace" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of different fractions.... technical
specifications....
and the fraction is not printing out on the document. You can see it on

the
screen.. but when you print the fraction part of the number is not

printed.
The fraction has a " mark after it to show that it is inches. It is

entered
by the number , then back slash, then number , then quote sign.....

So it would look like this
16 Ea. - Flush Birch 1 ?" - 3'0" x 6'8" prehung in 4 ?" FJ

one
piece

the 3/8 and 5/8 in this particular line are not printing...
Any help would be appreciated

I hope this makes sense..
Thanks

Charles Kenyon

On my HP driver in Windows XP, it is a printing preference in the driver
(Advanced tab).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Grace" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of different fractions.... technical
specifications....
and the fraction is not printing out on the document. You can see it on

the
screen.. but when you print the fraction part of the number is not

printed.
The fraction has a " mark after it to show that it is inches. It is

entered
by the number , then back slash, then number , then quote sign.....

So it would look like this
16 Ea. - Flush Birch 1 ?" - 3'0" x 6'8" prehung in 4 ?" FJ

one
piece

the 3/8 and 5/8 in this particular line are not printing...
Any help would be appreciated

I hope this makes sense..
Thanks

TF

It may say, 'send truetypes as graphics', or 'print in raster mode' or 'send
page as graphic' or some similar gobbledygook that means the same thing. It
may also be worth checking at the HP web site to see if they have a newer
driver than the one you are using. They definitely have firmware upgrades
for many printers: check these out as one may update the resident fonts
sets.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Grace" wrote in message
: The user is printing to a HP8150 using PCL5e
: I don't see anywhere in the printer properties to change this info you are
: talking about.
:
: Any other suggestions??
: thanks
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: Your printer may be using resident fonts that don't contain these
: characters. Try printing TrueType fonts as graphics (this setting or
: something resembling it will be in your printer Properties).
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Grace" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Grace

Thanks, I found a setting similar ... and the fractions still did not
print.
Could it have anything to do with the Quote symbol being next to it....?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Grace" wrote in message
[...]

Grace

Yes .. it said send Truetype as bitmaps....
I selected that and the user reprinted.... same result....
I asked in earlier post about the quote symbol??? any thoughts on that??
Thanks

"Grace" wrote in message
[...]

: "Grace" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

TF

Grace

I've not seen this happen before. Just double-check that it isn't a font
issue and test by changing the font used in the document to something really
common such as Times New Roman and see if that prints.

Terry

"Grace" wrote in message
[...]
: "Grace" wrote in message
: ...
: : The user is printing to a HP8150 using PCL5e
: : I don't see anywhere in the printer properties to change this info you
: are
: : talking about.
: :
: : Any other suggestions??
: : thanks
: :
: : "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Your printer may be using resident fonts that don't contain these
: : characters. Try printing TrueType fonts as graphics (this setting or
: : something resembling it will be in your printer Properties).
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: : so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Grace" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I have a document with a lot of different fractions.... technical
: : specifications....
: : and the fraction is not printing out on the document. You can see
it
: on
: : the
: : screen.. but when you print the fraction part of the number is
not
: : printed.
: : The fraction has a " mark after it to show that it is inches. It
is
: : entered
: : by the number , then back slash, then number , then quote
sign.....
: :
: : So it would look like this
: : 16 Ea. - Flush Birch 1 ?" - 3'0" x 6'8" prehung in 4
?"
: FJ
: : one
: : piece
: :
: : the 3/8 and 5/8 in this particular line are not printing...
: : Any help would be appreciated
: :
: :
: :
: : I hope this makes sense..
: : Thanks
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Amedee Van Gasse

Grace shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I have a document with a lot of different fractions.... technical
specifications....
and the fraction is not printing out on the document. You can see it
on the screen.. but when you print the fraction part of the number
is not printed. The fraction has a " mark after it to show that it
is inches. It is entered by the number , then back slash, then
number , then quote sign.....

So it would look like this
16 Ea. - Flush Birch 1 ?" - 3'0" x 6'8" prehung in 4 ?"
FJ one piece

the 3/8 and 5/8 in this particular line are not printing...
Any help would be appreciated

I hope this makes sense..
Thanks

I have tried viewing your message using all possible character sets
that my newsreader (xananews) supports, and I still see a question
mark, not a fraction.
Perhaps you should look up the unicode for your fractional number, and
use that. All I can find in plain old Arial is fractional numbers 1/4,
1/2 and 3/4.

This may be a related problem?

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Grace

Thanks..
What do you mean look up the unicode for the fraction???

BTW....It only shows up as a question mark in the newsgroup. The printed
document just shows the number before it... and a blank space where the
fraction should be.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

Grace shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Thanks..
What do you mean look up the unicode for the fraction???

What is Unicode?

Unicode provides a unique number for every character,
no matter what the platform,
no matter what the program,
no matter what the language.

Fundamentally, computers just deal with numbers. They store letters and
other characters by assigning a number for each one. Before Unicode was
invented, there were hundreds of different encoding systems for
assigning these numbers. No single encoding could contain enough
characters: for example, the European Union alone requires several
different encodings to cover all its languages. Even for a single
language like English no single encoding was adequate for all the
letters, punctuation, and technical symbols in common use.

These encoding systems also conflict with one another. That is, two
encodings can use the same number for two different characters, or use
different numbers for the same character. Any given computer
(especially servers) needs to support many different encodings; yet
whenever data is passed between different encodings or platforms, that
data always runs the risk of corruption.
Unicode is changing all that!

Unicode provides a unique number for every character, no matter what
the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language.
The Unicode Standard has been adopted by such industry leaders as
Apple, HP, IBM, JustSystem, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, Sun, Sybase, Unisys
and many others. Unicode is required by modern standards such as XML,
Java, ECMAScript (JavaScript), LDAP, CORBA 3.0, WML, etc., and is the
official way to implement ISO/IEC 10646. It is supported in many
operating systems, all modern browsers, and many other products. The
emergence of the Unicode Standard, and the availability of tools
supporting it, are among the most significant recent global software
technology trends.

Incorporating Unicode into client-server or multi-tiered applications
and websites offers significant cost savings over the use of legacy
character sets. Unicode enables a single software product or a single
website to be targeted across multiple platforms, languages and
countries without re-engineering. It allows data to be transported
through many different systems without corruption.

Shamelessly copied from:
http://www.unicode.org/