PMW

Default margins

I've been unable to adjust the starting point for headings, paragraphs, etc.
in a document I'm working in. The margins are set for 1" (top & bottom) but
the starting point for typing begins 1" below the "gray area" on the ruler.
To no avail, I attempted to fix by adjusting the margins in page setup. When
I originally opened the document, this problem did not exist and i cannot for
the life of me think of anything I did to change it. Any suggestions???

Jay Freedman

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:50:01 -0700, PMW
wrote:

I've been unable to adjust the starting point for headings, paragraphs, etc.
in a document I'm working in. The margins are set for 1" (top & bottom) but
the starting point for typing begins 1" below the "gray area" on the ruler.
To no avail, I attempted to fix by adjusting the margins in page setup. When
I originally opened the document, this problem did not exist and i cannot for
the life of me think of anything I did to change it. Any suggestions???

Tools Options View check "White space between pages".

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
PMW

Basically the problem is regardless of what I have the the top/bottom margins
(whether it be 1" or 5") set at, the top and bottom lines of text are always
in the same place. I checked the site that you all suggested but I don't
think it's the problem. I can see whole page. I just can't change my
starting/stopping point on a page.

"PMW" wrote in message
I've been unable to adjust the starting point for headings, paragraphs,

etc.
in a document I'm working in. The margins are set for 1" (top & bottom)

but
the starting point for typing begins 1" below the "gray area" on the

ruler.
To no avail, I attempted to fix by adjusting the margins in page setup.

When
I originally opened the document, this problem did not exist and i cannot

for
the life of me think of anything I did to change it. Any suggestions???

Does your style have some Space Before? Is the vertical alignment set to
Center (Layout tab of Page Setup)?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I can't quite visualize what's happening from your description, but see

if
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm solves your problem.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"PMW" wrote in message
I've been unable to adjust the starting point for headings,

paragraphs,
etc.
in a document I'm working in. The margins are set for 1" (top &

bottom)
but
the starting point for typing begins 1" below the "gray area" on the

ruler.
To no avail, I attempted to fix by adjusting the margins in page

setup.
When
I originally opened the document, this problem did not exist and i

cannot
for
the life of me think of anything I did to change it. Any

suggestions???

PMW

I deleted the headers/footers my margins were fixed. My old assistant said
(after the fact) that the header/footer box increased in size (apparently a
common occurance??) and I could have just deleted lines w/ in the
header/footer box to fix the problem.

Anyway....thanks for the help. Greatly appreciate it.