Mike

Default Corrupt footer (page number)

I sometimes have documents where the footer cannot be edited - as if the
text is locked. When I display codes I'll sometimes see part of a page
code - {PAGE - without the closing bracket. These codes cannot be deleted -
even if I select the entire footer. Also, it's just the footer that's the
problem - the header is fine. I've tried removing any section breaks (if
they exist). The only solution - which I don't like since it means creating
a new document - is to save the file as a HTML document, reopen, then resave
it as a Word document.

Any suggestions or ideas for fixing this problematic footers? TIA,

Mike

Mike

This works, but the issue is we use a document management system - and
saving documents locally tends to mess things up (not the document, but the
document numbering). While the problem varies somewhat, it's always in the
footer, and it's always something that cannot be deleted. Saving as HTML
has (thus far) always worked, and the problem is intermitent, so I'm not
worried that this solution won't work, but I was looking for other things I
might try.

Thanks again,

Mike

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The advice you were given (perhaps by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm?) is good. If the
document is corrupt, you need to do something to get rid of the

corruption.

so
all may benefit.

"Mike" wrote in message
I sometimes have documents where the footer cannot be edited - as if the
text is locked. When I display codes I'll sometimes see part of a page
code - {PAGE - without the closing bracket. These codes cannot be

deleted -
even if I select the entire footer. Also, it's just the footer that's

the
problem - the header is fine. I've tried removing any section breaks

(if
they exist). The only solution - which I don't like since it means

creating
a new document - is to save the file as a HTML document, reopen, then

resave
it as a Word document.

Any suggestions or ideas for fixing this problematic footers? TIA,

Mike

FWIW, the only time I had this problem was in a much earlier version of Word
(possibly Word 97) and was corrected by a service pack. ISTR that one of the
things that was related (heaven only knows how) was saving a preview picture
with the document (which is a bad idea, anyway, since it pointlessly
balloons the file size).

"Mike" wrote in message
This works, but the issue is we use a document management system - and
saving documents locally tends to mess things up (not the document, but

the
document numbering). While the problem varies somewhat, it's always in

the
footer, and it's always something that cannot be deleted. Saving as HTML
has (thus far) always worked, and the problem is intermitent, so I'm not
worried that this solution won't work, but I was looking for other things

might try.

Thanks again,

Mike

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The advice you were given (perhaps by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm?) is good. If the
document is corrupt, you need to do something to get rid of the

corruption.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Mike" wrote in message
I sometimes have documents where the footer cannot be edited - as if

the
text is locked. When I display codes I'll sometimes see part of a

page
code - {PAGE - without the closing bracket. These codes cannot be

deleted -
even if I select the entire footer. Also, it's just the footer that's

the
problem - the header is fine. I've tried removing any section breaks

(if
they exist). The only solution - which I don't like since it means

creating
a new document - is to save the file as a HTML document, reopen, then

resave
it as a Word document.

Any suggestions or ideas for fixing this problematic footers? TIA,

Mike

Mike

I don't have this document any more to work with, but a couple other
thoughts came to mind. Often when I see this problem there's a frame
involved; sometimes, not always, I can select and delete the frame.
Sometimes the document crashes when I do this. I'm thinking, but am not
sure, that inserted page numbers (which puts page numbers in a frame) are
somehow involved.

Thanks!

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

A likely possibility, though not in my case, as I have never used Insert |
Page Numbers (I didn't even know the command existed till my then
high-school-age daughter pointed it out to me g).

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

How do I insert chapter number with page number in footer? Joan Microsoft Word Help 4 May 9th 05 04:00 PM
Page numbering in footers, Outside margin, Page Number + Number of Pages Eric G Page Layout 6 April 22nd 05 12:28 PM
Page Number funnybroad Page Layout 4 March 3rd 05 07:58 AM
Footer - displays correct page number but prints differently Marty R Microsoft Word Help 1 January 18th 05 02:32 AM