ChrisK

Default Left vertical line like in e-mail reply

Hi,

I am trying to find how I can add or remove the vertical line word adds at
the left of the quoted messages when replying to an HTML e-mail. It doesn't
seem to be part of the style and it cannot be copied either. How can I
produce / control this using Word's formatting tools ?

Thanks in advance,
Christia

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ChrisK,

I am trying to find how I can add or remove the vertical line word adds at
the left of the quoted messages when replying to an HTML e-mail. It doesn't
seem to be part of the style and it cannot be copied either. How can I
produce / control this using Word's formatting tools ?

I think the option you're looking for is actually an OUTLOOK property. Check
in Tools/Options/Preferences/Email options, the bottom half. And if you have
problems with this, ask in an Outlook group, as they'll have a better idea how
to adjust these settings.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

ChrisK

Well, it's a feature *used* by Outlook. And outlook does only let you
control if you want this to happened when replying or forwarding a message.
What I am interested in is:

1) be able to use this feature (that obviously Word is capable of producing
somehow) in normal Word documents, outside Outlook

2) When using word as e-mail editor, I'd like to be able to control this
formatting in order to have more flexibility in where this line appears.
This too is a word feature.

Note that I can export a document with this vertical line formatting to an
RTF file. And when I read it back, it's still there, so RTF knows this, i.e.
word definitly knows it too.

Maybe it's a hidden feature that was added just to make it compatible with
HTML style e-mail replies but was never intended to be used in Word directly
as a formatting option? Is that it?

Thanks,

Christian

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message

Hi ChrisK,

I am trying to find how I can add or remove the vertical line word adds
at
the left of the quoted messages when replying to an HTML e-mail. It
doesn't
seem to be part of the style and it cannot be copied either. How can I
produce / control this using Word's formatting tools ?

I think the option you're looking for is actually an OUTLOOK property.
Check
in Tools/Options/Preferences/Email options, the bottom half. And if you
have
problems with this, ask in an Outlook group, as they'll have a better idea
how
to adjust these settings.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ChrisK,

Well, it's a feature *used* by Outlook. And outlook does only let you
control if you want this to happened when replying or forwarding a message.
What I am interested in is:

1) be able to use this feature (that obviously Word is capable of producing
somehow) in normal Word documents, outside Outlook

2) When using word as e-mail editor, I'd like to be able to control this
formatting in order to have more flexibility in where this line appears.
This too is a word feature.

Note that I can export a document with this vertical line formatting to an
RTF file. And when I read it back, it's still there, so RTF knows this, i.e.
word definitly knows it too.

Maybe it's a hidden feature that was added just to make it compatible with
HTML style e-mail replies but was never intended to be used in Word directly
as a formatting option? Is that it?

That's basically it, yes. You can get a vertical line in Word if you have Track
Changes turned on, and have set the options to mark lines containing a change
with such a vertical line. Don't know if that might be of any help to you?

The only other thing I can imagine would be a true Drawing line, or the
vertical line character, in a frame or text box that you could position to the
left of the text. (Make an AutoText entry of it so that it's easy to use)

Or - MAYBE - use the vertical line character as a BULLET?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Bullets/numbers will not indent after first line Greg Microsoft Word Help 2 August 9th 05 12:43 AM
How to remove vertical lines at left of each text line ? Will Microsoft Word Help 1 May 12th 05 09:46 PM
vertical line bergerac Page Layout 2 February 13th 05 05:30 AM
Vertical line in margin only from some PCs - MS Word Geoff Page Layout 1 February 11th 05 08:01 AM
Vertical line--leaving line and losing the box Chad Harris New Users 1 February 1st 05 04:50 AM