Jeff

Default Word using up all CPU

I am running office XP on 2003 Presario Notebook 1.7
Centrino processor with 512 RAM.

Whenever I use Word now the CPU shoots up to 100% usage,
which causes the fan to fun at full speed constantly, and
quickly drains the battery.

When I shut down Word, the CPU usage goes down to about
8%.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing Word to take up
so much of the CPU, or what I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks much for any ideas.
TF

Most frequently, this is a problem with the Spelling or Grammar. Open Tools,
Options, select the Spelling and Grammar tab and uncheck the two check as
you type options. Does that reduce the CPU load?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Whenever I use Word now the CPU shoots up to 100% usage,
: which causes the fan to fun at full speed constantly, and
: quickly drains the battery.
:
: When I shut down Word, the CPU usage goes down to about
: 8%.
:
: Does anyone have any idea what is causing Word to take up
: so much of the CPU, or what I can do to fix the problem?
:
: Thanks much for any ideas.

Jeff

Unfortunately not.

Do you have any other ideas? My hard drive is getting
close to being full, although I haven't gotten any
messages that anything needs to be deleted. Other than
that, I can't think of anything that could cause the
problem.
[...]

.

Jeff

Would this be the case only with using Word? It does not
happen when I use other programs, including Excel.

When I close Word down the problem goes away.
If the HD is so full that there's not room for a very

large swap file, then
that could be part of the problem.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.