Ed

Default Help working with Track Changes, please?

I've got to use Track Changes to edit some reports. I turn it on, then turn
off Highlight On Screen and Highlight in Printed Document. The problem I've
run into is that sometimes after making a change, I can't backspace or
delete. I have to move the insertion point somewhere else and then move it
back. Today, I was working with some tables and had to completely turn it
off! Can someone give me some pointers understanding how this beast works?

Ed

Charles Kenyon

http://addbalance.com/usersguide/track_changes.htm is a primer.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ed" wrote in message
I've got to use Track Changes to edit some reports. I turn it on, then
turn
off Highlight On Screen and Highlight in Printed Document. The problem
I've
run into is that sometimes after making a change, I can't backspace or
delete. I have to move the insertion point somewhere else and then move
it
back. Today, I was working with some tables and had to completely turn it
off! Can someone give me some pointers understanding how this beast
works?

Ed

Ed

Thank you, Charles. I appreciate the boost. While it is good basic info,
it didn't answer some of my questions. I may have to turn Highlight on
Screen on and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Ed

PS - Two things:
(1) "I need to send this document to a client. How do I get rid of all the
editing marks?"

I'm not that familiar with all that you are doing - but what about making a
copy of the document, accepting all changes in the copy, and sending that to
the client? That way, if the client has any further changes, you still have
the original.

(2) The bottom link is a shortcut to
http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/le...%20changes.htm, but took me to
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Ed" wrote in message
I've got to use Track Changes to edit some reports. I turn it on, then
turn
off Highlight On Screen and Highlight in Printed Document. The problem
I've
run into is that sometimes after making a change, I can't backspace or
delete. I have to move the insertion point somewhere else and then move
it
back. Today, I was working with some tables and had to completely turn

it
off! Can someone give me some pointers understanding how this beast
works?

Ed

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ed,

While it is good basic info,
it didn't answer some of my questions. I may have to turn Highlight on
Screen on and see if I can figure out what's happening.

In order to answer your question, we really need to know the version of Word
involved. Track changes was altered significantly in Word 2002 and later from
previous versions.

PS - Two things:
(1) "I need to send this document to a client. How do I get rid of all the
editing marks?"

I'm not that familiar with all that you are doing - but what about making a
copy of the document, accepting all changes in the copy, and sending that to
the client? That way, if the client has any further changes, you still have
the original.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ed,

I've got to use Track Changes to edit some reports. I turn it on, then

turn
off Highlight On Screen and Highlight in Printed Document. The problem

I've
run into is that sometimes after making a change, I can't backspace or
delete. I have to move the insertion point somewhere else and then move

it
back. Today, I was working with some tables and had to completely turn it
off! Can someone give me some pointers understanding how this beast

works?
Word 2000

Just turning the screen and print display on or off won't change the fact
that you're still tracking the changes in the document. When you're in this
mode, then the backspace key doesn't work (probably has something to do with
how Word keeps track of what's deleted).

In order to STOP tracking changes, deactivate the checkbox above the entries
about highlighting changes.

1) "I need to send this document to a client. How do I get rid of all the
editing marks?"

You need to accept/reject the changes. First, turn off change tracking. Then
Tools/Track Changes/Accept or Reject changes. You can choose to either
accept all, reject all, or step through each change in the document and
accept or reject them, individually.