lumi

Default how to create an index of alphabetical names?

Hi
I want to create an index for a 70 pages document , that contains chemical
names in alphabetical order. I wonder if it is possible to extract the names
and page numbers were they occur, in automatic way.
Any suggestion is grately appreciated
Thanks
Lumi

Margaret Aldis

Since the names are already in alphabetical order, you might be able to do
this very simply by creating a table of contents - if the chemical names are
headings or have (or can be given) a unique style, you can pick them up very
easily using the options available from the dialog.

Alternatively, to create an Index you'll need to mark each name as an index
entry. This is an occasion where it might be possible to do this
automatically with a concordance file, though making the list of names for
the concordance file (assuming your document contains other text as well as
the names) might be as much work as creating the entries or the list itself
by hand.

Both TOCs and Index are quite well covered in Word Help. Note that the page
numbers in a TOC are live hyperlinks, while those in an index are not, if
that matters.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP