Jim at Harris

Default Print Preview displays cross-referenced material

I have a Word 2002 doc containing cross references to figures and tables
contained within the doc. After closing a Print Preview, the figures pointed
to by the cross reference are inserted next to the cross reference. This does
not occur with the tables. I suspect file corruption but would prefer not to
recreate this doc. I am running Word 2002 SP3 on WINXP SP1. Any ideas?
Margaret Aldis

Gosh it seems to be cross reference bookmark season today ;-)

I expect you have your figures above their respective captions, and have
inserted the figure by placing cursor at start of the caption before doing
the insertion. (Or maybe doing that and inserting a place holding paragraph
first.) That will have placed the picture inside the hidden bookmark that is
used to pick up the Figure cross reference. The Print Preview will be
updating the fields, and thus adding the picture to the cross reference.

You'll need to cut each picture, and repaste it at a position that takes it
outside the caption bookmark - place your cursor at the end of the previous
text paragraph, press enter, and insert before the new paragraph end. (You
can then remove the paragraph end and anything else caught into the bookmark
if necessary.)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jim at Harris" Jim at wrote in message
I have a Word 2002 doc containing cross references to figures and tables
contained within the doc. After closing a Print Preview, the figures
pointed
to by the cross reference are inserted next to the cross reference. This
does
not occur with the tables. I suspect file corruption but would prefer not
recreate this doc. I am running Word 2002 SP3 on WINXP SP1. Any ideas?

Margaret Aldis

Sorry, posted too late last night and my instructions for fixing this were
unnecessarily complicated :-)

Try this:

1. Insert Bookmark and uncheck/recheck hidden bookmarks (so you see the
_Ref bookmarks).

2. Select the caption or whatever part of it you want to appear in the cross
reference.

3. Insert Bookmark again - you'll see the relevant bookmark highlighted.

4. Click Add to move the bookmark back to the selection.

5. Repeat 2-4 for each caption.

6. Update fields (or go into Preview again).

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Control Check Box Moves in Print Preview Diane Formatting Long Documents 0 April 27th 05 06:58 PM
Print preview Rad11 Page Layout 1 April 17th 05 05:25 PM
Date and time jtkinge Microsoft Word Help 3 April 1st 05 07:17 AM
Table gridlines are not showing on print preview or print Stephanie Microsoft Word Help 2 March 10th 05 08:06 PM
Print preview of background gradient fill effect doesn't match th. Richard D Microsoft Word Help 0 February 8th 05 03:01 PM