Frank Drost

Default Problem saving files

Ok, this is very weird, and my previous mail is probably
slightly related to this problem too. I will detail what
I do and what goes wrong.

I have a master document (and 10 subdocuments) with which
I work fine. I always work in my master document. When I
save my master document (and therefore all subdocuments),
I always make two copies. The one that I am working on
currently which I leave in my working directory, and a
copy (of the masterfile, all subdocuments and everything
else that is called up in the master document) and put
that (always) in a new directory (which I usually name
after the time/day it was saved. Each consecutive master
file is named also with a time/day in it. If for one
reason or another something goes wrong with my
masterfile, I just copy the old masterfile (and all the
subdocuments that I had saved at that same time, etc) I
had saved before back into my working directory and I
continue from there. This always works.

And now something weird happened.

Many times while I was working in my latest masterfile, a
previous version of my masterfile was opened up. This
happened often when inserting footnotes or other text. I
always closed the older version and went back to the
version I was working on but somehow I was suddently on
quite a different page and I had to scroll back (or
forward) to get back to my cursor (where I was). often my
whole master file goes into a "flickering" mode and many
pages suddenly scroll in front of me and then too I have
to go back (or forward) several pages to where I was.

When I saved my masterfile (and therefore all the other
subdocuments, as usual), I saved it, as usual, under the
new name, including the time/date in it.

I noticed however that this latest version of the
masterfile is much smaller than the previous saved
version 20kb vs 180kb). That was weird. All other
previous saved versions were 150kb, 160kb, 170kb, 180kb
(they became sligthly bigger as I added things to it).
It seems that when I open up my latest version, it needs
to "open" up the previous (old) version as well. Somehow
my latest saved version doesn't seem to be a saved file,
but a saved link (although this is not stated anywhere!).
When I remove the old version of the masterfile (but all
subdocuments etc stay) from my working directory, WORD
can not open my new masterfile anymore and gives me the
following message:

Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try
these suggestions:
Check the file permissions for the document or drive
Make sure there is sufficient free memory
Open the file with the text recovry converter

Digging deeper, it says:
The file you tried to open was not found. It may be
missing, in a different location, locked by another
application, or unavailable due to file permissions. If
you are sure the file exists but you cannot locate it
using the Word File Open dialog, start Microsoft Windows
Explorer and perform a search. If the search dialog
returns a listing of your file, double-click on it to
open it. If the file does not open, it is either corrupt,
locked by another application, or is protected by file
permissions.

What I want of course is that Word saves my file as it
always did and not save it as a kind of link or so.

Does anyone have a clue?

ta

Frank Drost

Further to my query, the problem started at about the same time (same day)
that my new Word version was set up so that it could see ENDNOTE. Is it maybe
related to that? There are lots of ENDNOTE references in the paper.

ta