p6steve

Default Text editing problem..

Guys - I have got myself a list of files from a folder on xp opened in word
(it's a list of all files within my music singles folder so I can print them
off and put them with my mp3 player). However this list contains the date,
time and file size etc. (standard file view in xp) and I'm trying to delete
it to just leave track name part of the line. Is there an easy way I can just
delete the first 60 or so characters on each line of text without having to
do line by line - obviously if I try to delete a block by moving the mouse
downwards, it grabs everything right to the end of the line and highlights
that for deletion to. In other words I highlight the bits i don't want, move
the mouse downwards to the next line and the rest of the line I wanted to
keep is highlighted........a very complicated explanation of a very simple
thing methinks!!
Thanks in advance...

To complicate the issue, it used to be Right-click+drag, but I forget how
many versions back that was; I guess the combination was changed when the
shortcut (right-click) menu was introduced.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use Alt+drag to column-select.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"p6steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc Luc is offline

Mikey,
Don't know how the document in Word looks like, but you can make a vertical
selection in Word. Press and hold down the Alt key and drag with your mouse
from top to bottom. Press delete when the selection is made.
Or you can convert the list into a table using Table - Convert - Convert
text to table - based on whatever separator has been used in the list. Then
delete the columns you do not need.
--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)