olpauly

Default M.S.Word 2003 already installed,how can I use, I don't have CD .

First off, I should say, I'm a newbe, I guess it's called. I know very little
about this PC stuff. I have PC that microsoft word is already installed on,
but it won't let me use. It keeps wanting me to enter 25 digit code number
from CD. I don't have any CD. What is "certificate of authinticity"? Can
someone please help me in dumb peoples terms, that I can understand? Or am I
s.o.l.?
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

If you have a computer with Word on it, then you should have the CD. The CD
probably came in a sleeve with a sticker that has a 25 digit code. That
sticker is the Certificate of Authenticity - it means you have a legitimate
copy of Word.

If you don't have the disk, my question would be "Why not?" If you just
bought the computer from a retailer, you need to (1) check thru
**everything** and if you are *positive* you don't have the disk, then (2)
problem. If the computer was given to you or you bought it used, you need to
refuse or they don't have the disk, your only alternative is to buy Word.

I can't answer whether or not you're SOL, that depends on what information
you find out. (Did I answer it in simple enough terms? I tried.)
--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"olpauly" wrote in message
news
First off, I should say, I'm a newbe, I guess it's called. I know very
little
about this PC stuff. I have PC that microsoft word is already installed
on,
but it won't let me use. It keeps wanting me to enter 25 digit code number
from CD. I don't have any CD. What is "certificate of authinticity"? Can
someone please help me in dumb peoples terms, that I can understand? Or am
s.o.l.?

NoNoBadDog!

If Word was on your computer when you bought it, it was a 60 day trial
version. It has expired. You must now purchase Microsoft Office or Word in
order to continue using it. The company that made your computer cannot give
a piece of software that retails for $150 - $300 and still give a you a low
price on the computer.

Bobby

"olpauly" wrote in message
news
First off, I should say, I'm a newbe, I guess it's called. I know very
little
about this PC stuff. I have PC that microsoft word is already installed
on,
but it won't let me use. It keeps wanting me to enter 25 digit code number
from CD. I don't have any CD. What is "certificate of authinticity"? Can
someone please help me in dumb peoples terms, that I can understand? Or am
s.o.l.?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Good catch on that. I'm from the old school - before systems came with trial
versions of Word, etc. Unfortunately people do not know to ask what programs
come with their systems. Can you imagine what we'd get if we bought cars or
homes with the same lack of information?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"NoNoBadDog!" mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com wrote in message
If Word was on your computer when you bought it, it was a 60 day trial
version. It has expired. You must now purchase Microsoft Office or Word
in order to continue using it. The company that made your computer cannot
give a piece of software that retails for $150 - $300 and still give a you
a low price on the computer.

Bobby

"olpauly" wrote in message
news
First off, I should say, I'm a newbe, I guess it's called. I know very
little
about this PC stuff. I have PC that microsoft word is already installed
on,
but it won't let me use. It keeps wanting me to enter 25 digit code
number
from CD. I don't have any CD. What is "certificate of authinticity"? Can
someone please help me in dumb peoples terms, that I can understand? Or
am I
s.o.l.?

olpauly

I just wanted to give a word of thanks, for giving me a clue, of what to do.
Thank You Very Much. As I stated, with my question post, I'm very new at this
PC stuff. That's why I was asking for help that a dumb person could
understand.
Again, Thanks

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

If Word was on your computer when you bought it, it was a 60 day trial
version. It has expired. You must now purchase Microsoft Office or Word in
order to continue using it. The company that made your computer cannot give
a piece of software that retails for $150 - $300 and still give a you a low
price on the computer.

Bobby

"olpauly" wrote in message
news
First off, I should say, I'm a newbe, I guess it's called. I know very
little
about this PC stuff. I have PC that microsoft word is already installed
on,
but it won't let me use. It keeps wanting me to enter 25 digit code number
from CD. I don't have any CD. What is "certificate of authinticity"? Can
someone please help me in dumb peoples terms, that I can understand? Or am
s.o.l.?

Amedee Van Gasse

olpauly shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I just wanted to give a word of thanks, for giving me a clue, of what
to do. Thank You Very Much. As I stated, with my question post, I'm
very new at this PC stuff. That's why I was asking for help that a
dumb person could understand.
Again, Thanks

Asking the right questions is not dumb. The really dumb thing would be
to ask nothing.
And saying thank you afterwards is also smart. It's an incentive for
the person who helped you to help you again in the future.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html
olpauly

This is ment for Amedee Van Gasse,
I personally want to Thank You also, for the advise that you took the time
to share with me. Thank You. I am old, but I'm not to old to learn.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

It seems you have a CD with the trial version on it. Installing that again
isn't going to help. You can convert the trial version to a permanent
license he http://www.microsoft.com/office/trial/convert.mspx
This process won't require you to uninstall and reinstall Office.

It would probably be less expensive to buy a full retail version of Office,
particularly the Student & Teacher edition if you qualify for it (and almost
everyone does), from an office supply store or an online dealer such as
Amazon.com. If you do that, though, you *will* have to uninstall the trial
version first.

In either case, you won't lose any documents you created in the trial
version -- they will open just as they did before. Uninstalling Office won't
remove any documents, although you should back up everything for safety
anyway.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

If Word was on your computer when you bought it, it was a 60 day
trial version. It has expired. You must now purchase Microsoft
Office or Word in order to continue using it. The company that made
your computer cannot give a piece of software that retails for $150
- $300 and still give a you a low price on the computer.

Bobby

news