dblandshark

Default method add of object commandbarcontrols failed

When I start Word I get the following message "method add of object
commandbarcontrols failed" I click OK and Word comes up. I can use it but
the bar at the top that includes "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help" does
not come up. I tried to uninstall and reinstall word but the same thing
happens. How do I get that command bar back?????

You have an add-in trying to customize the menu bar and failing, it would
appear. The reason for that would be that the menu bar is not appearing. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissngMenusEtc.htm for the latter
problem. If that doesn't clear the message, post back for further
instruction.

"dblandshark" wrote in message
When I start Word I get the following message "method add of object
commandbarcontrols failed" I click OK and Word comes up. I can use it

but
the bar at the top that includes "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help"

does
not come up. I tried to uninstall and reinstall word but the same thing
happens. How do I get that command bar back?????

Shauna Kelly

Hi dblandshark

This message is not coming from Word. It's coming from an add-in that is
poorly-written. See section 4 of
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"dblandshark" wrote in message
When I start Word I get the following message "method add of object
commandbarcontrols failed" I click OK and Word comes up. I can use it
but
the bar at the top that includes "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help"
does
not come up. I tried to uninstall and reinstall word but the same thing
happens. How do I get that command bar back?????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Digby Digby is offline

I receive the "Method 'add' of object commandbarcontrols failed" message
when I try to use Word 2003. I do not have the "File Edit View Insert
(etc. . .)" command bar. I do not understand the instructions in the link
you referred to in the posting. I am missing the command bar, not the tool
bars--they appear just fine. This all started when I had a conflict with an
old version of Scansoft Paperport. The program began generating a 3.5
gigabyte txt file on its own and just about consumed all the hard disk space
on my hard drive. I shut the program down, tried to open the file in Word.
It opened apparently blank document. Then I deleted the file. I may have
deleted what I thought was an associated file. That's when the probelm
started. I am not sure if it is related to the Word problem.